Maximum force so object on top wouldn't start sliding back

In summary, a force of 16.25 N is the maximum force with which box A can be pulled without box B sliding back. This is determined by calculating the total force of friction on box A, which is 8.75 N, and adding it to the force needed to maintain a maximum acceleration of 7.5 m/s^2, resulting in a total force of 16.25 N. This is based on the masses of the boxes (1 kg for box A and 0.3 kg for box B) and the coefficients of friction between the boxes and the ground (0.5 for box A and 0.75 for box B).
Arquon

Homework Statement

Box B is on top of box A. Box A has a mass of 1 kg, B has 0.3 kg. Coefficient of friction between ground and box A is 0.5, between box A and B : 0.75. With what maximum force can I pull box A without box B sliding back ?

m1 = 1 kg
m2 = 0.3 kg
u1 = 0.5
u2 = 0.75

Homework Equations

Ffr = umg
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the force of friction between box A and ground is 6.5 N ( (m1 + m2)u1g )
Between box A and B friction is 2.25 N. ( m2u2g )
So the total force of friction box A receives is 8.75 N. But I can't work out what is the maximum force with which I can pull box A without having box B falling off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arquon said:
Between box A and B friction is 2.25 N. ( m2u2g )
That's the key.
Hint: What's the max acceleration that box A can have before it starts to slide?

Likes Arquon
I got acceleration 7.5 m / s2. Then :
F = Ffr + ma = 6.5 + 9.75 = 16.25 N ( for friction I used friction between box A and ground, and m = 1.3 kg)

Is this correct ?

Arquon said:
I got acceleration 7.5 m / s2. Then :
F = Ffr + ma = 6.5 + 9.75 = 16.25 N ( for friction I used friction between box A and ground, and m = 1.3 kg)

Is this correct ?
Looks good to me. (Assuming it's OK for you to use g = 10 m/s^2.)

Likes Arquon
Yeah, it's ok. Thank you !

What is maximum force?

Maximum force refers to the amount of force that can be applied to an object before it starts to move or slide.

How is maximum force calculated?

Maximum force is calculated by dividing the coefficient of friction (the amount of resistance between two surfaces) by the weight of the object.

Why is it important to know the maximum force?

Knowing the maximum force is important in order to prevent objects from sliding or moving unexpectedly, which can cause accidents or damage.

What factors can affect the maximum force?

The maximum force can be affected by the weight of the object, the type of surface the object is on, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface.

How can the maximum force be increased?

The maximum force can be increased by increasing the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface, or by decreasing the weight of the object.