Maximum Kinetic Energy from a Physical Pendulum

In summary: What do you mean by "for two different things?"x is used for the angular displacement and the change in x is also used to find the change in vertical height of the centre of mass.
xoxomae

Homework Statement

Determine the maximum kinetic energy of a uniform rod of mass 0.5Kg and length 0.75 that has an angular displacement of 5 degrees.

Homework Equations

y = rsin (x) where x is the angular displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of energy ETotal = EMech + EPOTENTIAL

Kinetic energy is at a maximum when all potential energy is converted to kinetic energy

Centre of mass of of physical pendulum is equal to L/2

Therefore max kinetic energy = mg (l/2) sin (x)
= 0.0163417 J

I just have no idea if this is right

Physics news on Phys.org
xoxomae said:
Using conservation of energy ETotal = EMech + EPOTENTIAL
Did you mean to write EKinetic instead of EMech?

Kinetic energy is at a maximum when all potential energy is converted to kinetic energy

Centre of mass of of physical pendulum is equal to L/2

Therefore max kinetic energy = mg (l/2) sin (x)
Can you explain why you used a factor of sin(x) here? Be sure to draw a picture to help find the change in vertical height of the center of the rod.

I used a factor of sin (x) because the change in the y-axis * mg is equal to total potential energy
y = r sin (theta) when changing between polar and cartesian coordinates
Is this the wrong way to think about it?

First of all, I want to make sure I'm interpreting the question correctly. I assume from the title that you are dealing with a swinging physical pendulum. I am also assuming that the maximum angular displacement from equilibrium is 5 degrees. Is this correct?

Would I have to use cos (x) instead of sin (x)?

Umm yes that's the question :)

xoxomae said:
Would I have to use cos (x) instead of sin (x)?
It's not a matter of just replacing sin(x) by cos(x). Did you draw a picture?

Okay, so i drew a picture and realized that I made a mistake.

I got to
Change in x = l/2 * (1- cos(x))

Looks good. But you're using x for two different things!

What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body suspended from a pivot point. This differs from a simple pendulum, which is a point mass on a massless string.

What is maximum kinetic energy from a physical pendulum?

Maximum kinetic energy from a physical pendulum is the highest amount of energy that the pendulum has while in motion. It occurs when the pendulum is at its lowest point, also known as the equilibrium point.

How is maximum kinetic energy calculated for a physical pendulum?

The maximum kinetic energy of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula KE = (1/2)Iω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What factors affect the maximum kinetic energy of a physical pendulum?

The maximum kinetic energy of a physical pendulum is affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released. A longer pendulum will have a higher maximum kinetic energy, while a heavier pendulum or a larger release angle will decrease the maximum kinetic energy.

How is maximum kinetic energy from a physical pendulum useful?

Maximum kinetic energy from a physical pendulum is useful in understanding the energy conservation and oscillatory motion of a pendulum. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biomechanics.