Maximum Mass for Spring-Induced Jump

In summary, the maximum value for M for which the bottom block will jump off the ground is 2m. The equilibrium offset is x = 4mg/k, and the maximum upward offset of the spring after release is d = 2mg/k. The integral of the work done by all forces between the initial and final positions is equal to the change of kinetic energy, and since the velocity of the upper block is zero at the minimum upward displacement above the height of the relaxed spring, the integral is zero. Therefore, M < 2m.
tmiddlet
This is not a homework/coursework problem, but I came across it and wanted to check my answer.

Homework Statement

As in the diagram, there are two blocks of mass M and m. The mass m is suspended above M by a spring of spring constant k.

Initially, the block m is pushed down with a force 3mg until the system reaches equilibrium, then the force is released.

What is the maximum value for M for which the bottom block will jump off the ground?

Homework Equations

[tex] F = kx [/tex]
[tex] F = mg [/tex]
[tex] U = \frac{1}{2}kx^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is the right way to do it, but I'm not sure.

To find the equilibrium offset:
[tex] 3mg = kx [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{3mg}{k} [/tex]

Finding the potential energy due to the spring:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}kx^2 = \frac{9m^2g^2}{2k}[/tex]

To find the maximum upward offset (d) of the spring after release:
[tex] \int_{-3mg/k}^{d} (-kx-mg)dx = -\frac{9m^2g^2}{2k}[/tex]

Evaluating this returns : (If I did it right)
[tex] d = \frac{mg(\sqrt{7}-1)}{k} [/tex]

If kx > Mg, then the block will lift off, so I end up with:
[tex] M \lt m(\sqrt{7}-1) [/tex]

I'm just curious if I got this right. If anybody is willing to try the problem or check my logic, that would be great. Thank you!

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic works quite well, but:

tmiddlet said:
To find the equilibrium offset:
[tex] 3mg = kx [/tex]
[tex] x = \frac{3mg}{k} [/tex]

The block is pushed with a force of 3mg, but there is gravity, too, so the net force is 4mg.

tmiddlet said:
To find the maximum upward offset (d) of the spring after release:
[tex] \int_{-3mg/k}^{d} (-kx-mg)dx = -\frac{9m^2g^2}{2k}[/tex]

The integral is the work done by all forces between its initial and final position which is equal to the change of KE according to the work-energy theorem. d is the minimum upward displacement above the height of the relaxed spring where the spring force is Mg/k. As that, the velocity of the upper block is zero there. So the integral has to be zero.

ehild

Ok, I see.

Easy mistake:
[tex] x = \frac{4mg}{k} [/tex]

It seems everything else I did was unnecessary, I don't need to deal with the potential energy.

So evaluating the integral:
[tex] \int_{\frac{-4mg}{k}}^{d} (-kx - mg) dx = 0[/tex]

Yields:
[tex] d =\frac{2mg}{k}[/tex]
[tex] M \lt 2m [/tex]

This makes sense, Thanks!

Related to Maximum Mass for Spring-Induced Jump

1. How does a spring cause a mass to jump?

When a mass is attached to a spring, the spring stores potential energy. When the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the mass to jump.

2. What factors affect the height of the mass's jump?

The height of the mass's jump is affected by the stiffness of the spring, the mass of the object, and the initial compression or stretch of the spring.

3. Can a mass jump without a spring?

Yes, a mass can jump without a spring if it is given enough initial energy, such as through a force acting on it or by being thrown.

4. Why does the mass eventually stop jumping?

The mass eventually stops jumping because the spring loses its potential energy and the energy is transferred into other forms, such as sound and heat. Friction and air resistance also play a role in slowing the mass down.

5. How does gravity affect the mass's jump?

Gravity affects the mass's jump by pulling it back towards the ground. This force of gravity acts against the potential energy stored in the spring, causing the mass to eventually stop jumping and return to its resting position.