Maximum power from a battery with source resistance

In summary: It's usually used for calculating battery life in minutes or hours. However, it's possible that the options are intentionally designed to confuse the students by including this irrelevant value. In summary, the maximum power that can be extracted from a 5V battery with a source resistance of 10 Ohms is 625mW. The 1800mAh rating of the battery is not relevant to this problem and may be included to confuse the reader. The maximum power transfer theorem states that the load resistance should be equal to the source resistance for maximum power dissipation in the load.
JordanHood

Homework Statement

A 5V battery rated at 1800mAh has a soucre resistance of 10 Ohms. What is the maximum power that can be extracted from the battery?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that had the battery not had any source resistance then the power out would have been equal to Energy x Time giving us P=VIT, but i do no understand what to do when there is a source resistance. Do I calculate another current that is passing through the battery? using V=IR to get a current of 0.5A? If so then what does the 1800mAh mean? I have then tried putting this current into P=I^2R but this means I am totally ignoring one of the values in the question which means I can't be right

EDIT
Apologies I didnt realize this was a multiple choice question, the possible answers are
a) 625mW
b) 1.25mW
c) 2.5 mJ
d) 11.664 MJ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JordanHood said:

Homework Statement

A 5V battery rated at 1800mAh has a soucre resistance of 10 Ohms. What is the maximum power that can be extracted from the battery?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that had the battery not had any source resistance then the power out would have been equal to Energy x Time giving us P=VIT, but i do no understand what to do when there is a source resistance. Do I calculate another current that is passing through the battery? using V=IR to get a current of 0.5A? If so then what does the 1800mAh mean? I have then tried putting this current into P=I^2R but this means I am totally ignoring one of the values in the question which means I can't be right
I don't see the significance of 1800mAh in this problem. Do you know the maximum power transfer theorem in electrical circuits?

cnh1995 said:
I don't see the significance of 1800mAh in this problem. Do you know the maximum power transfer theorem in electrical circuits?
Is this when the source resistance and load resistance are equal?

JordanHood said:
Is this when the source resistance and load resistance are equal?
Yes. But I just realized that the theorem will give the value of load resistance for maximum power dissipation in the load, while the question asks about the maximum power in the entire circuit.

I believe 1800mAh means the battery can supply 1800mA current for 1hr.
Edit: I think the proper meaning of this is that the battery can supply 1mA current for 1800 hrs.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
I believe 1800mAh means the battery can supply 1800mA current for 1hr.
So do I need to calculate the current per second?

JordanHood said:
So do I need to calculate the current per second?
No. Seeing the options, I think this problem does belong to the maximum power transfer theorem. After all, it's the load that extracts power from the battery. So when we say 'power extracted from the battery', it means the power consumed by the load from the battery.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
No. Seeing the options, I think this problem does belong to the maximum power transfer theorem. After all, it's the load that extracts power from the battery. So when we say 'power extracted from the battery', it means the power consumed by the load from the battery.
Ok so I set the internal resistance of the battery to 10 Ohms and work from there?

JordanHood said:
Ok so I set the internal resistance of the battery to 10 Ohms and work from there?
I think so.

cnh1995 said:
I think so.
That gives me 625mW, which is one of the answers, so assuming that is right. Bit concerned about not using the 1800mAh at all though, possibly there to confuse you?

JordanHood said:
power out would have been equal to Energy x Time giving us P=VIT, but i do no understand
No. Energy delivered = power x time

But you are not asked about energy, the question involves maximizing output power.

Likes JordanHood
JordanHood said:
Bit concerned about not using the 1800mAh at all though, possibly there to confuse you?
I think so. I haven't seen mAh rating being used for calculating maximum power so far.

Likes JordanHood

1. How does source resistance affect the maximum power output of a battery?

Source resistance is the internal resistance of a battery, which creates a voltage drop and limits the flow of current. As a result, a higher source resistance will decrease the maximum power output of a battery.

2. Can the maximum power output of a battery be increased by reducing the source resistance?

Yes, reducing the source resistance will decrease the voltage drop and allow for a higher flow of current, resulting in an increased maximum power output of the battery.

3. Is there a limit to how low the source resistance can be reduced?

Yes, there is a physical limit to how low the source resistance can be reduced. This is due to the internal structure and materials of the battery, which cannot be altered. However, using external circuitry such as a voltage regulator can help to minimize the effect of source resistance on maximum power output.

4. How does the type of battery affect its source resistance and maximum power output?

The type of battery can greatly affect its source resistance and maximum power output. For example, lithium-ion batteries typically have lower source resistance and higher maximum power output compared to lead-acid batteries.

5. Can external factors, such as temperature, impact the maximum power output of a battery with source resistance?

Yes, external factors like temperature can affect the maximum power output of a battery with source resistance. Higher temperatures can decrease the internal resistance of the battery, allowing for a higher maximum power output. However, excessively high temperatures can also degrade the battery and reduce its overall performance.