1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Static Force before Blocks Slip

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    An 6.40kg block rests on a 12.5kg block. The interface between the lower mass and the table is frictionless, but there is friction (static friction μs and kinetic friction μk) between the two blocks. A horizontal force F acts on the upper block and causes both blocks to accelerate. The acceleration of both blocks when they begin to slip is 2.0 m/s2.

fk=μkFN
    fs=μsFN

I guess I have no idea how to start with this question. Am I supposed to find the normal force first and work from there? Where do I even go from there? Any help would be appreciated, thanks much!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You haven't stated what it is you're trying to find...

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3
    Aw geez, sorry. I have to find the force at the time when the blocks start to slip.

5. Feb 26, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Okay, so immediately before the blocks begin to slip they are essentially one large block...

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5
    Try to imagine by sitting on the lower block. What you see? Where should the force act?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook