Measuring Height Yourself: 2 Ways to Calculate BMI

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation revolved around different ways to measure one's height, including rounding out to the nearest centimetre, using an apparatus to measure vertical leap, measuring from fingertip to fingertip, and lying down with books at the feet and head. Some of these methods were practical, while others were more theoretical and involved creativity. The main purpose was to find a way for the sister to calculate her BMI, but the conversation also touched on the purpose of science and the importance of ingenuity.
When Shawn Johnson gained weight, I was glad that we had an 18 year old athlete who will actually have boobs and a great body once she loses that baby phat :biggrin:

Can't wait for the Sports Illustrated, FHM, and Playboy coverage on Shawny :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
cronxeh said:
When Shawn Johnson gained weight, I was glad that we had an 18 year old athlete who will actually have boobs and a great body once she loses that baby phat :biggrin:

Can't wait for the Sports Illustrated, FHM, and Playboy coverage on Shawny :tongue:

chrishansen.jpg

Borek said:
It is not. It is close, but different.

Ooh, I wonder if there's any data about this online. Do you think there's a correlation between height and (height - armspan)? Positive or negative? And what are good figutes for the mean and standard deviation for (height - armspan)?

CRGreathouse said:
Ooh, I wonder if there's any data about this online. Do you think there's a correlation between height and (height - armspan)? Positive or negative? And what are good figutes for the mean and standard deviation for (height - armspan)?

Interesting question, but no idea.

Sounds like good activity for a class - I remember reading abour measuring beans as an element of introducing Gaussian distribution. Finding correlation could be a nice complement.

She could walk her shoes up her self one after the other.

If she knows how to snap with her toes, she can measure time between the snap felt and snap heard, difference times 330 m/s gives the distance.

To be precise she should also hit something with a top of her head and measure time between hit and sound as well, then just sum both distances.

Borek said:
If she knows how to snap with her toes, she can measure time between the snap felt and snap heard, difference times 330 m/s gives the distance.

To be precise she should also hit something with a top of her head and measure time between hit and sound as well, then just sum both distances.

Good luck with that one haha