Measurement of Lx: Result of Measurement?

• Thread starter Physgeek64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, the given wave function ##\psi =zf(r)## is a function of r and theta only. To find the expected value of ##L_x##, the differential form of the operator must be used. In QM, the measurement of an operator is defined with the help of the wave function. To find the result of an individual measurement of ##L_x##, the complex conjugate of the wave function must be put on the left, the wave function on the right, and ##L_x## in between, and then integrated over the whole space. This measurement may not necessarily be zero.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

If we have a wave function ##\psi =zf(r)## and we take a measurement of ##L_x## what is the result of the measurement?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know we can write ##L_x=\frac{1}{2}(L_+ + L_- )## and that ##|\psi > = g(r) |1,0> ## so ##L_x |\psi >= \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2} g(r) |1,1>##. But i don't know what the measurement would be because this has to be an eigenvalue equation to read off the result of a measurement (I think?).

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know we can write Lx=12(L++L−)Lx=12(L++L−)L_x=\frac{1}{2}(L_+ + L_- ) and that |ψ>=g(r)|1,0>|ψ>=g(r)|1,0>|\psi > = g(r) |1,0> so Lx|ψ>=12√2g(r)|1,1>Lx|ψ>=122g(r)|1,1>L_x |\psi >= \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2} g(r) |1,1>. But i don't know what the measurement would be because this has to be an eigenvalue equation to read off the result of a measurement (I think?).

Many thanks!

you have a given wave function which is a function of r and theta only
if you wish to find expected value of L(x) then one must use differential form of the operator L(x)

drvrm said:
you have a given wave function which is a function of r and theta only
if you wish to find expected value of L(x) then one must use differential form of the operator L(x)
But how do i find the result of a measurement. I can show that the expected value is zero, but i don't know what the outcome of an individual measurement would be.

Physgeek64 said:
But how do i find the result of a measurement. I can show that the expected value is zero, but i don't know what the outcome of an individual measurement would be.

In QM the measurement is defined with the help of wave function
say you have a position wavefunction then you can measure x-operator

as {Psi * (x )Psi }integrated over the whole space.
similarly L(x) is a operator which is represented in (r,theta, phi) space .

put the complex conjugate of the wave function on the left and psi on the right and L(x) in between and integrate over whole space .
the result will give you measurement and it may not be zero.

1. What is the purpose of measuring Lx?

The purpose of measuring Lx is to determine the luminous intensity or brightness of a light source. This measurement is important in various fields such as lighting design, photography, and vision research.

2. How is Lx measured?

Lx is usually measured using a light meter or lux meter, which measures the amount of light in a given area. The device has a sensor that converts light into an electrical signal, which is then displayed as a numerical value in lux units.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of Lx measurements?

The accuracy of Lx measurements can be affected by factors such as the distance between the light source and the meter, the angle at which the light is measured, and the presence of other light sources in the area. It is important to carefully follow the instructions of the meter and take multiple measurements to ensure accuracy.

4. What is the difference between Lx and lumens?

Lx is a measurement of luminous intensity, while lumens measure the total amount of visible light emitted by a source. Lx takes into account the distance and angle at which the light is measured, while lumens do not. Therefore, Lx is a more accurate representation of the perceived brightness of a light source.

5. Can Lx be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, Lx can be converted to other units of measurement such as foot-candles or candela. This can be done using conversion formulas or online calculators. However, it is important to note that different units may have different conversion factors, so it is best to use the same unit of measurement for consistency.