Understanding Gravitational Red Shifting with a Solar-Mass Black Hole

In summary, the z parameter in gravitational red shifting represents the change in observed wavelength compared to the emitted wavelength, with a value of 1 indicating no change. It can be calculated using the equation (1/(2GM/c^2r)^0.5) - 1 = z and the units of z are typically in nanometers or meters.
Lamdbaenergy
I've been searching over this and I don't quite get it yet. I just heard about this "z" parameter for gravitational red shifting and I thought it'd be fun to apply into the scenario of a solar-mass black hole.
The equation I looked at was (1/(2GM/c^2r)^0.5) - 1 = z
So, like, does the z parameter just mean that you multiply the original wavelength by it or add it with the original wavelength? Does the z give you a shift in nanometers or meters? I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a good understanding of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
z is usually defined as ##z=\frac{\lambda_o-\lambda_e}{\lambda_e}=\frac{\lambda_o}{\lambda_e}-1## where ##\lambda_e## is the emitted wavelength and ##\lambda_o## is the observed wavelength.

1. What is gravitational red shifting?

Gravitational red shifting is a phenomenon that occurs when light or other electromagnetic radiation is emitted from an object located in a strong gravitational field, causing it to appear redder or longer in wavelength when observed from a distance.

2. How does a solar-mass black hole contribute to gravitational red shifting?

A solar-mass black hole, which has a mass equivalent to that of our Sun, has a very strong gravitational field due to its high density. This gravitational field can cause light to experience significant red shifting as it tries to escape the black hole's intense pull.

3. How is gravitational red shifting related to the theory of general relativity?

The theory of general relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. Gravitational red shifting is a result of this curvature, as light follows the path of space-time affected by the black hole's gravity.

4. Can gravitational red shifting be observed in other astronomical objects besides black holes?

Yes, gravitational red shifting can also be observed in other massive objects such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies. This is because these objects also have strong gravitational fields that can cause light to experience red shifting.

5. What are the potential implications of studying gravitational red shifting with solar-mass black holes?

Studying gravitational red shifting with solar-mass black holes can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of these enigmatic objects. It can also help us better understand the effects of strong gravitational fields on light and the nature of gravity itself.