Mechanical Water Waves: Understanding Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to understand the behavior of water waves and the type of information the individual wants to learn. This includes situations such as a rod being moved periodically in water and a long plate being moved horizontally. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding sources for this information and potential issues with solving the equations.
Wxfsa
I want to understand how water waves behave. I do not need to be able to solve them (although i would like a derivation) because I tried hard to find it but I were not able to find any source on it (i probably didn't know the terms i should have been searching for)

The type of stuff I want to learn are (some example situations) (ignoring losses) wavefunctions of time:
-what if a rod is moved periodically, vertically in water (cylinderical waves)
-what if the rod is moved for a single period
-what if a long plate is moved horizontally (so waves in two opposite directions)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wxfsa said:
I want to understand how water waves behave. I do not need to be able to solve them (although i would like a derivation) because I tried hard to find it but I were not able to find any source on it (i probably didn't know the terms i should have been searching for)

The type of stuff I want to learn are (some example situations) (ignoring losses) wavefunctions of time:
-what if a long plate is moved horizontally (so waves in two opposite directions)
Wxfsa said:

1. The rod creates a cylindrical wave, where the amplitude depends on time and radius. The wave spreads in two dimensions only, so the energy is spread around the circumference, and the energy density falls off as 1/radius. Therefore the amplitude falls off inversely with the square root of radius.
2. If a rod is moved for a single period, the water particles would have to go from stationary to a finite velocity in zero time, requiring infinite acceleration, so I do not think a wave will be produced.
3. A long plate produces a beam which is initially parallel, so the amplitude will not fall off with distance. The radiation from each side of the plate is in anti phase. (At long distances the beam diverges, so the decay becomes similar to the cylindrical wave).

Related to Mechanical Water Waves: Understanding Behavior

1. What are mechanical water waves?

Mechanical water waves are disturbances or fluctuations that occur on the surface of a body of water due to external forces such as wind, earthquakes, or tides.

2. How do mechanical water waves behave?

Mechanical water waves exhibit a variety of behaviors, including reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference. They also have characteristics such as wavelength, amplitude, and frequency.

3. What factors affect the behavior of mechanical water waves?

The behavior of mechanical water waves is influenced by several factors, including the depth of the water, the density and viscosity of the water, and the strength and direction of the external forces.

4. How are mechanical water waves used in real-world applications?

Mechanical water waves have many practical uses, such as generating electricity through wave energy converters, studying ocean currents and climate change, and creating realistic wave effects in movies and video games.

5. What are some current research areas in the study of mechanical water waves?

Some current areas of research in mechanical water waves include developing more efficient wave energy converters, understanding the effects of climate change on ocean wave behavior, and studying the impact of underwater noise pollution on marine life.