Mechanics: Feasible lab report 4000 words long?

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for an essay in the IB diploma extended essay, with the topic of physics being chosen. The importance of a good question and feasible experiment for a lab report is emphasized, and examples of potential questions are given. The idea of exploring the physics of bicycles and their stability when moving is proposed, but concerns about the complexity of the topic and filling 4000 words are raised. Ultimately, it is agreed that 4000 words is not as long as it seems and the topic of bicycles is promising for the essay.
kyoran
Hello.
At our school we are required to write an essay 4000 long (IB diploma extended essay), probably to give an insight into what we will do in university.

I chose to do a topic related to physics. For physics, they recommend us to have a good question where an experiment is feasible so we can write up a lab report based on our results.
Possible questions are eclectic, so i really have no clue what will be best for my essay.

I do know however, that I want to do a topic related to mechanics (pretty broad eh?)
some students in the past have done things like:
-What are the ideal dimensions(?) size etc for a parachute?
-What affects the lift off of a plane more, the angle of hit or the velocity?
-What is the ideal toilet paper roll so that the paper doesn't fall too fast or too slow?
etc etc...

I've been thinking about the physics in bicycles relating to why they are more stable when moving than stationary. However, I'm not too sure if there is enough physics (not too complicated but not too simple like a class experiment also) to write a 4000 word lab report. How do you feel about this idea?

It would be really really helpful if you gave me some suggestions and commented on the bicycle idea.
Thank you very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
kyoran said:
I've been thinking about the physics in bicycles relating to why they are more stable when moving than stationary. However, I'm not too sure if there is enough physics (not too complicated but not too simple like a class experiment also) to write a 4000 word lab report. How do you feel about this idea?
Don't worry about filling 4000 words, trust me, you will be struggling to stay under this limit!

Claude.

It's about 10 pages.

P1: Introduce your work: purpose, what's going to be discussed,etc
P2-P5: angular momentum, law of conservation, examples
P6-P8: describe your own experiment and discuss

Well, it's hard to fill the next 2 pages :-)

dude, 4k words isn't that long, bout 2 -2 1/2 pgs for me.(i write really really small and neat tho) umm its true tho, a stationary bike is less stable than bike that's moving.

How did you compress 4K words in only 2 1/2 pages?

On a default page in MS Words, you have 25 lines and about 13-15 words for each line, so it's about 300 words/page.

Any way, if it's enough 4k words, no matter how you compress :-)

1. What is the purpose of a lab report in mechanics?

A lab report in mechanics is a written record of an experiment that has been conducted in order to investigate a scientific phenomenon or test a hypothesis. It outlines the purpose of the experiment, the methods used, the data collected, and the results and conclusions drawn from the experiment.

2. What should be included in a lab report for mechanics?

A lab report for mechanics should include a title, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It should also include any relevant data tables, graphs, or diagrams. Additionally, any sources of information or references used should be properly cited.

3. How long should a lab report for mechanics be?

A lab report for mechanics is typically around 4000 words long. However, the length may vary depending on the specific requirements of the experiment and the guidelines provided by the instructor or institution.

4. What is the format for writing a lab report in mechanics?

The format for writing a lab report in mechanics typically includes an introduction, which outlines the purpose and background of the experiment, a materials and methods section, which describes the equipment and procedures used, a results section, which presents the data collected, a discussion section, which interprets the results and explains their significance, and a conclusion that summarizes the findings and their implications.

5. How important is it to follow proper formatting and citation guidelines in a lab report for mechanics?

Following proper formatting and citation guidelines is crucial in a lab report for mechanics. It ensures that the report is organized and easy to follow, and that all sources of information are properly credited. It also demonstrates academic integrity and can enhance the credibility and validity of the report's findings.