Mechanics - Springs and pulleys

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a physics problem involving finding the acceleration of a 4kg block. They mention needing to find kx and analyzing the forces on the 6kg block. The person helping them is named Doc Al and their name is a clever play on their actual name.
cupid.callin

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=33530&stc=1&d=1301086828.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I could say that (A)(B) are correct and (C) is wrong and i know 4kg block will have acceleration but i don't know how to find it.

Attachments

• AITS (1).jpg
    AITS (1).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the tension in the spring connected to the 4kg block?

Doc Al said:
Hint: What's the tension in the spring connected to the 4kg block?

Hi Doc Al
thanks for replying

I know i need to find kx to find acceleration

so initially kx = mg + T

and even if i apply Newton laws to rest of the blocks ... i can't find the extension

Start by analyzing the forces on the 6 kg block.

ok ...

let tension in upper string is T1 and string with 4kg is T2
and extension in left and right spring is x1 and x2
attachment.php?attachmentid=33532&stc=1&d=1301089030.jpg
OH MY GOD

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:DOC AL ... YOU ARE MY HERO ! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:blushing:

And just one more question ,,, (just out of curiosity) ... what does AL means in Doc Al

Attachments

• 01271.jpg
    01271.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 423
cupid.callin said:
And just one more question ,,, (just out of curiosity) ... what does AL means in Doc Al
It's my name. Clever, eh? :wink:

Doc Al said:
It's my name. Clever, eh? :wink:
:bugeye:
And congrats ... you're going to reach 30,000 posts soon ... i guess maximum till now

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a mechanical device that is made of an elastic material and is designed to store and release energy. It is commonly used to apply a force or to absorb shock.

2. How do springs work?

When a spring is compressed or stretched, it exerts a force in the opposite direction to return to its original shape. This is due to the elastic potential energy stored in the spring, which is released when the spring is deformed.

3. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance that the spring is compressed or stretched. This means that the more a spring is deformed, the greater the force it exerts.

4. What is the difference between tension and compression in springs?

Tension is the force that results from stretching a spring, while compression is the force that results from compressing a spring. Both tension and compression can be used to store and release energy in a spring.

5. How are springs and pulleys related?

Pulleys are often used in combination with springs to create a mechanical advantage. The spring can provide the force needed to lift an object, while the pulley system can reduce the amount of force needed to lift the object. This allows for easier lifting of heavy loads.