Mechatronics: DC Motor Position Control

In summary, the conversation discussed deriving equations of motion and developing a continuous-time system for a 5kg mass and lead screw with the goal of obtaining a transfer function for angular position. Some feedback was given, including the importance of stating assumptions, correcting inertia terms, and providing a discrete-time representation of the system.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

Write down the equations of motion and develop the continuous-time system.

Homework Equations

See my word doc. or PNG's.

The Attempt at a Solution

See my word doc. or PNG's.

I assumed that there was no friction as no information was given.
I can easily get the transfer function relating angular position to voltage, however, I'm just unsure about what I did in order to account for the inertia of the 5kg mass and the inertia of the lead screw.

The main equation that I am unsure about is [7].
Does it look correct, or where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• G1_Picture.PNG
    G1_Picture.PNG
    23.2 KB · Views: 555
  • MotorData.PNG
    MotorData.PNG
    41.9 KB · Views: 472
  • G1_Work.docx
    14.8 KB · Views: 177
  • G1_Work1.PNG
    G1_Work1.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 451
  • G1_Work2.PNG
    G1_Work2.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to provide some feedback on your solution. Overall, your approach seems correct and your equations of motion are well-written. However, there are a few things to consider and clarify:

1. Assumptions: It is important to clearly state any assumptions made in your solution, as they can greatly affect the accuracy of your results. In this case, assuming no friction may not be a realistic assumption, as friction can significantly affect the motion of the system. It would be better to state that your solution is for an idealized system with no friction, and then discuss the potential impact of friction on the results.

2. Inertia terms: In equation [7], the inertia terms for the 5kg mass and the lead screw are not correct. The inertia of the 5kg mass should be represented by I2, not I1, and the inertia of the lead screw should be added to the denominator of the transfer function. This will result in a more accurate representation of the system's dynamics.

3. Transfer function: It is important to note that the transfer function you have derived is for the angular position of the system, not the voltage. If you want to relate the voltage to the angular position, you will need to take the inverse Laplace transform of the transfer function to get the time-domain equation.

4. Continuous-time system: Your solution is correct for a continuous-time system, but it would be helpful to also provide a discrete-time representation of the system, as many practical systems are implemented using digital control.

Overall, your solution is a good start, but it would be beneficial to clarify the assumptions made and correct the inertia terms in equation [7]. Additionally, providing a discrete-time representation of the system would make your solution more complete. Keep up the good work!

1. What is mechatronics and how is it related to DC motor position control?

Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary field that combines mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and create intelligent systems. DC motor position control is a mechatronic application that involves using sensors, actuators, and controllers to precisely control the position of a DC motor.

2. How is the position of a DC motor controlled in mechatronics?

The position of a DC motor in mechatronics is controlled by using feedback control loops. This involves a sensor that measures the current position of the motor and sends this information to a controller. The controller then compares the actual position to the desired position and adjusts the motor's voltage or current accordingly to reach the desired position.

3. What are the advantages of using mechatronics for DC motor position control?

Mechatronics offers several advantages for DC motor position control, including improved precision, flexibility, and efficiency. With the use of advanced sensors and controllers, mechatronics allows for precise and accurate control of the motor's position. It also allows for flexibility in controlling multiple motors simultaneously and can lead to energy savings through optimized control algorithms.

4. What are the key components of a mechatronic system for DC motor position control?

The key components of a mechatronic system for DC motor position control include a DC motor, a position sensor, a controller, and an actuator. The position sensor measures the motor's position, while the controller processes this information and sends commands to the actuator to adjust the motor's position accordingly.

5. How is mechatronics used in real-world applications for DC motor position control?

Mechatronics is used in a variety of real-world applications for DC motor position control, such as robotics, industrial automation, and automotive systems. For example, in a robotic arm, mechatronics is used to control the precise movement and positioning of the arm's joints. In manufacturing, mechatronics is used to control the position of conveyor belts and other machinery. In vehicles, mechatronics is used to control the positioning of windows, mirrors, and seats.