Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Megntic field

1. Mar 21, 2004 #1
    Hi,

lately, me and my freind wanted to build a monorail. suspended by magnets, and powered by electricity. we can't manage to create propulson. The Question???

What shape and how are electric fields formed?

P.S. Please don't call me a simpleton, i'm only fifteen.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2
    I'm talking about electromegnets.

4. Mar 22, 2004 #3

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

You have a challenge ahead of you for the 'suspended' part. Forget it for now.

For the propulsion, that's easier. Lets say you have a bar magnet or a bolt with some wire wrapped around it to make an electromagnet, doesn't matter. You have a north and south pole. The strength will be the best at the ends where each pole is located. Remember likes repel and opposites attract. Your goal should be to first have the permanent magent on the train become attracted to your electromagnet. Then you need to make a series of them and switch them from N to S to make the train 'step' forward from one to the next. You reverse N to S to N by switching the direction the current flows in the coil of your electromagnet.

Here's a recent thread about this:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15853

Cliff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?