Mercury thermometer temperature problem

In summary, the mercury column in a mercury thermometer will be 5cm when immersed in water at the triple point, but it will be 6.0cm when immersed in boiling water.
robgb
The length of the mercury coloumn in a mercury thermometer is 5cm when the bulb is immersed in water at the triple point (273.16k). What is the temperature if it reads 6.0cm? What will the length of coloum be if immersed in boiling water (at steam point)?

I'm new to this forum, but would really appreciate any help you guys can give (need help asap!).

I've tried using pv = nKT etc, but can't apply it. All your hints would be welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to examine the "linear expansion" formula. (since no dimension was given for "the bulb" I'm assuming that it's just one end of the colum and volumetric expansion is not necessary) You'll have to look up the coefficient of linear expansion for mercury.

edit: did the problem really say "triple point"? Nevermind, only the temperatures are important.

Hi,

Yes, in the question it didn't actually mention the temperature, just that it was the triple point.
Its supposed to be a pretty basic thermal physics question, any ideas what formula I would need to use?

Thanks, rob.

OK, the triple point is at a certain temperature, but it's not 273 K (that's the melting/freezing point). FInd that temperature and determine the "delta" T between each situation. Have you found the linear expansion formula yet?

The triple point of water has to be very near freezing. To get ice, liquid water and steam to exist in equilibrium (constant amounts of each) you must have ice (so very near freezing) and you must have low pressure (to get steam at cold temperatures). Daniel Schroeder's "Thermal Physics" gives the triple point of water as 273.16 K and 0.006 bar pressure ( 1 bar = 1/ 1.013 atmosphere).

Even my thermal physics professor forgot to mention that the triple point requires low pressure.

Ok, thanks guys.
I'm still unsure as to where to go from here.

Any chance of a worked example anyone?

Please!

Thanks, rob.

The triple point of water has to be very near freezing. To get ice, liquid water and steam to exist in equilibrium

Wouldn't it be more accurate to speak of water vapour rather then steam?

Originally posted by Integral
Wouldn't it be more accurate to speak of water vapour rather then steam?

I see why you say that but Schroeder's text calls it steam. Our concept of steam is at 1 atmosphere and the triple point is at very low pressure so it would be cold steam in any case. Water vapor exists at most temperatures and pressures but the phase diagram for H2O has a definite region labeled steam.

Water vapour is liquid water in small droplets. Steam is the correct term for gaseous H2O.

By the way, I still don't see how you can calculate the change in height of the column if you don't now the radius of the cylinder.

1. What is the problem with using mercury thermometers to measure temperature?

The main problem with using mercury thermometers is that mercury is a toxic substance. If the thermometer breaks, the mercury can be released and pose a health hazard.

2. How accurate are mercury thermometers?

Mercury thermometers are generally very accurate, with a precision of 0.1 degrees Celsius. However, they can be affected by changes in atmospheric pressure and can also break easily, affecting their accuracy.

3. Can mercury thermometers be used for all temperature ranges?

No, mercury thermometers have a limited temperature range and are not suitable for measuring extremely high or low temperatures. They can freeze at temperatures below -39 degrees Celsius and boil at temperatures above 357 degrees Celsius.

4. Are there any alternatives to using mercury thermometers?

Yes, there are many alternatives to using mercury thermometers, such as digital thermometers, infrared thermometers, and alcohol-filled thermometers. These alternatives are often safer, more accurate, and have a wider temperature range.

5. How should mercury thermometers be disposed of?

Mercury thermometers should never be thrown in the regular trash as they can release mercury into the environment. They should be taken to a hazardous waste disposal facility where they can be properly disposed of.