Miller index planes and directions relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between planes and directions of the same Miller index. The direction is believed to be normal to the plane, but the person is unsure how to prove it mathematically. It is suggested that the proof may not be necessary and the person is concerned about potential credit for their answer.
cameuth

Homework Statement

do you notice a relationship between the plane and directions of the same miller index? what is it?

Homework Equations

I've done planes and directions (111), [111], (112), and [112]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the direction is normal to the plane on first glance, but I can't seem to do the math to prove it. first off, am I right that the direction is perpendicular and second, how would I begin to prove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
yea the direction does appear to be perpendicular to the plane.
are you sure you need to prove it using math?

I suppose I wouldn't have to prove it using math, but I do feel like I need some reason other than "they look perpendicular". I guess the reasoning behind why this happens is what I'm after.

the way the question is worded implies you probably don't need to show using math.

is this an intro to materials class? or upper div?

It's an upper level engineering class, but it's also a basic materials class. Basically, a lot is expected of us, so I want to be sure that I'm not missing some simple proof. If that were the case, I'd receive little to no credit for my answer.

1. What is the Miller index notation for crystal planes and directions?

The Miller index notation is a system used to describe the orientation of crystal planes and directions in a crystal lattice. It consists of three numbers, enclosed in parentheses, which represent the reciprocals of the intercepts of the plane or direction on the crystallographic axes.

2. How do you determine the Miller indices for a crystal plane?

To determine the Miller indices for a crystal plane, you must first identify the intercepts of the plane on the crystallographic axes. Then, take the reciprocals of these intercepts and simplify the resulting numbers to their smallest whole-number values. The resulting numbers are the Miller indices for that plane.

3. What is the relationship between Miller indices and crystallographic planes?

The Miller indices represent the orientation and spacing of crystallographic planes within a crystal lattice. Each set of Miller indices corresponds to a specific plane in the crystal. The lower the values of the indices, the closer the plane is to the origin of the crystallographic axes.

4. How are Miller indices used to describe crystal directions?

Miller indices can also be used to describe crystal directions within a crystal lattice. To determine the Miller indices for a direction, the direction must be translated to intersect with the crystallographic axes. The resulting intercepts are then used to calculate the Miller indices for that direction.

5. Can Miller indices be negative numbers?

No, Miller indices are always positive whole numbers. Negative numbers are not used in Miller index notation because they do not have any physical significance. However, a bar above a Miller index indicates a direction or plane that is parallel to the negative direction or plane.