1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Miller index planes and directions relationship

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    do you notice a relationship between the plane and directions of the same miller index? what is it?

2. Relevant equations

I've done planes and directions (111), [111], (112), and [112]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I believe the direction is normal to the plane on first glance, but I can't seem to do the math to prove it. first off, am I right that the direction is perpendicular and second, how would I begin to prove this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    yea the direction does appear to be perpendicular to the plane.
    are you sure you need to prove it using math?

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    I suppose I wouldn't have to prove it using math, but I do feel like I need some reason other than "they look perpendicular". I guess the reasoning behind why this happens is what I'm after.

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4
    the way the question is worded implies you probably dont need to show using math.

is this an intro to materials class? or upper div?

6. Feb 1, 2012 #5
    It's an upper level engineering class, but it's also a basic materials class. Basically, a lot is expected of us, so I want to be sure that I'm not missing some simple proof. If that were the case, I'd receive little to no credit for my answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook