Miller Indices

Hi Guys,
What are the milled indices of plane (see attached figure). Its very interesting....and I am receiving every-time different answer from others.
Have a look.

Shriphy

Attachments

• MI.jpg
    MI.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 274

Answers and Replies

Remember you can put the origin at any lattice point.

Bravo Johng23,
Your answer is perfect.....I was checking all suggestion by inserting values on the link http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/miller_indices/lattice_draw.php
but no value was leading for this plane except yours.
But still I cant say that I got it 100%. Here x intercept is 1, y intercept is 0 and z is 1/2. So according to definition Miller indices should be reduced reciprocal of intercept....then what about x intercept....which should not be 0??
correct me please

Hi Johng23,
I got that if we consider origin at b=1 on given y axis point then indices are as you said....but if we consider origin at some other points (suppose a=1 on x axis) then answer will be different. Kindly is there any idea rule to consider origin??
In any case thanks for your consideration.

shriphy

Shriphy

It the plane goes through the origin, every intercept is zero. That's not very helpful in determining which plane it is. As long as the origin is not lying in the plane you should be fine.

Don't worry, Miller indices are an archaic tool used by "material scientists" and don't come up in real condensed matter.

Wow, that's pretty arrogant.