Minimum Orbital Radius Around Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a minimum orbiting radius for a black hole, which is created by the velocity limit of c. The question is raised if this also applies to other massive bodies, such as the Earth, and it is concluded that the minimum orbit would be the same as the photon sphere around a black hole. It is also mentioned that this concept is related to Birkhoff's theorem and the density of the object.
GoBluePhysics
Hi there,

I was reading one of my textbooks and I had a thought. For a black hole, there is minimum orbiting radius of ##R_{min}=3R_s## where ##R_s## is the Schwarzschild Radius. This minimum orbit is created by the fact that in order to obtain an orbit of that radius around a black hole, you would need to be traveling at a velocity exceeding ##c##. That's all good and dandy. However, wouldn't it be true that there exists a minimum orbit for any massive body due to the the velocity limit of c? In other words, if I am in an orbit around the Earth such that my velocity is equal to ##c##, what is my radius? Just something I thought up.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The short answer is It's the same as the photon sphere around a black hole [hint, less than the radius of earth].

Chronos said:
The short answer is It's the same as the photon sphere around a black hole [hint, less than the radius of earth].
When you say "photon sphere" do you mean the sphere created by a radius such that ##r=1.5R_s## (for a black hole)?

Wait. I think I understand. If I think of it in terms of Birkhoff's theorem, if the density of a black hole were expanded to have the density of another object (say, the earth) then the photon sphere and ##R_s## would be unmoved but they would also be inside of the object. Is that kind of the hand-wavy gist of it?

Yes.

What is the minimum orbital radius around a black hole?

The minimum orbital radius around a black hole is known as the innermost stable circular orbit (ISCO). This is the closest distance at which a stable orbit can be maintained without being pulled into the black hole.

How is the minimum orbital radius around a black hole calculated?

The minimum orbital radius is calculated using the black hole's mass and spin. The formula for calculating the ISCO varies depending on the type of black hole, but it is generally determined by the point at which the centrifugal force of the orbiting object is equal to the gravitational pull of the black hole.

Can anything survive within the minimum orbital radius around a black hole?

No. The intense gravitational pull and radiation from a black hole make it impossible for anything to survive within the minimum orbital radius. Any object within this distance will be inevitably pulled into the black hole.

How does the minimum orbital radius change for rotating black holes?

The rotation of a black hole affects its minimum orbital radius by increasing the strength of its gravitational pull. This means that the ISCO is closer to the black hole for a rotating black hole compared to a non-rotating one.

Is the minimum orbital radius the same for all black holes?

No. The minimum orbital radius can vary depending on the size and properties of the black hole. Smaller black holes have a smaller ISCO compared to larger ones, and rotating black holes have a smaller ISCO compared to non-rotating ones.