Minor loss due to Sudden contraction (help needed)

In summary, the discrepancy in results may be due to instrumentation errors or the assumption of a gradual contraction. Also, remember that mathematical models of natural phenomenon don't always turn out like one would think.
nebousuke
Hi, I am an undergraduate, doing an experiment regarding of minor losses due to sudden contraction. However, I found that my theoretical loss is higher than the experimental loss.

The flow rate = 3.28*10^-4 (m^3/s)
(Inner diameter) D1= 3.652*10^-2 m
(Inner diameter) D2= 1.539*10^-2 m

by using the energy equation
[tex]\frac{P_1}{\gamma}+\frac{V_1^2}{2g}=\frac{P_2}{\gamma}+\frac{V_2^2}{2g}+h_L[/tex]
rearranged
[tex]\frac{P_1}{\gamma}-\frac{P_2}{\gamma}=\frac{V_2^2}{2g}-\frac{V_1^2}{2g}+h_L[/tex]

I assumed that major head loss/friction head loss negligible since the length between to the two points is only 50mm.

SO [tex]h_L[/tex]= minor loss

[tex]h_L=K_L\frac{V^2}{2g}[/tex]

Based on the charts given in the book, Fluid Mechanics by McGrall Hill. I found that [tex]K_L[/tex] roughly equals to 0.45 and V=the velocity of the smaller pipe.

By using all these, I calculated the pressure difference = 0.22m

But my experimental result = 0.159m

Could anyone help me with this, I expected my experimental results would yield bigger pressure difference, yet it gave me less.

I built a simple piezometer to measure the pressure difference between the two points.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
nebousuke said:
Hi, I am an undergraduate, doing an experiment regarding of minor losses due to sudden contraction. However, I found that my theoretical loss is higher than the experimental loss.

The flow rate = 3.28*10^-4 (m^3/s)
(Inner diameter) D1= 3.652*10^-2 m
(Inner diameter) D2= 1.539*10^-2 m

by using the energy equation
[tex]\frac{P_1}{\gamma}+\frac{V_1^2}{2g}=\frac{P_2}{\gamma}+\frac{V_2^2}{2g}+h_L[/tex]
rearranged
[tex]\frac{P_1}{\gamma}-\frac{P_2}{\gamma}=\frac{V_2^2}{2g}-\frac{V_1^2}{2g}+h_L[/tex]

I assumed that major head loss/friction head loss negligible since the length between to the two points is only 50mm.

SO [tex]h_L[/tex]= minor loss

Based on the charts given in the book, Fluid Mechanics by McGrall Hill. I found that [tex]K_L[/tex] roughly equals to 0.45 and V=the velocity of the smaller pipe.

By using all these, I calculated the pressure difference = 0.22m

But my experimental result = 0.159m

Could anyone help me with this, I expected my experimental results would yield bigger pressure difference, yet it gave me less.

I built a simple piezometer to measure the pressure difference between the two points.

Probably due to the resistance coefficient (K). The K value will depend on the angle of the contraction. The book value you used is probably for a different angle.

CS

My set up is build to study sudden contraction not gradual contraction, the chart in the book is also for sudden contraction.

I have include an attachment of the chart I used.

Attachments

• IMG_0184resize.jpg
    IMG_0184resize.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,256
nebousuke said:
My set up is build to study sudden contraction not gradual contraction, the chart in the book is also for sudden contraction.

I have include an attachment of the chart I used.

Sorry, didn't see the sudden part above. However, the angle is still used in the calculation of K. If it is sudden, then the angle is just 180 degrees.

Your discrepancy may be due to you reading the value off of the chart and not actually calculating it.

Just calculate it yourself and don't use the chart.

CS

Sorry for sounding a bit ignorant but I am not very familiar with the part about calculating the K for sudden contraction.

According to Crane's, for a 180° contraction (actually for angles 45° to 180°), the loss coefficient is:

[tex]k=\left[\frac{0.5(1-\beta^2)\sqrt{sin\left(\frac{\theta}{2}\right)}}{\beta^4}\right][/tex]

Where

[tex]\beta[/tex] is the diameter ratio
[tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle of contraction

Last edited:
Ah, Fred beat me to it.

BTW the K is with respect to the larger diameter pipe.

CS

Last edited:
So what you mean is that the K I found through Crane's, the V, I should use is with respect to the velocity of the larger diameter pipe?

In that case value I found for [tex]h_L[/tex] is 0.065m, Some difference between the one I calculated using the chart, which is 0.071m.

By the way, I am not that familiar with Crane's, would like to read more about it.

http://www.flowoffluids.com/tp410.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, no wonder I've never seen it. Anyway, still it didn't explain the difference between theoretical values and experimental results. I would have expected increment in pressure loss in experimental results but it came out as the other way round.

nebousuke said:
Thanks, no wonder I've never seen it. Anyway, still it didn't explain the difference between theoretical values and experimental results. I would have expected increment in pressure loss in experimental results but it came out as the other way round.

You may have some instrumentation errors too. It might be worth trying some different configurations to see if you obtain comparable results.

Also, remember that mathematical models of natural phenomenon don't always turn out like one would think.

Hope that helps.

CS

My experiment is based on water by the way. It was to investigate how eccentricity affects minor loss due to sudden contraction. I built a concentric setup as control.

Well, I have been thinking of using a simple U-shape manometer but I don't seem to be able to find a suitable mano fluid. Therefore, I tuned out building a simple piezometer instead.

Anyway, I've made a simple sketch of my setup, please comment if I've made any mistakes. The assumed the "h" in the sketch as pressure difference between two points.

Attachments

• PFpic.JPG
    PFpic.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 797
What has been the problem with the manometer fluid?

The only thing with your set up may be, depending on the lengths of the sections, is that you are dealing with a entrance region in stead of a sudden contraction. In other words, have you tried measuring the pressure a bit farther down stream of the contraction to ensure that you have re established fully developed? That may be a big source of error. Try moving your pressure measurements farther upstream and downstream from the contraction and see if that helps your results.

FredGarvin said:
What has been the problem with the manometer fluid?

The only thing with your set up may be, depending on the lengths of the sections, is that you are dealing with a entrance region in stead of a sudden contraction. In other words, have you tried measuring the pressure a bit farther down stream of the contraction to ensure that you have re established fully developed? That may be a big source of error. Try moving your pressure measurements farther upstream and downstream from the contraction and see if that helps your results.

I had... i made 2 more points further down with an increment of 1 cm of from each point.

Are you suggesting it is due to vena contractra? But won't it be that the region at vena contractra contribute more pressure drop than after the flow fully developped?

Are you suggesting that I should move the point to where the flow fully developed after the contraction? If so, then with turbulent flow, the length of the pipe would be very long.

Last edited:

What is meant by "Minor loss due to Sudden contraction"?

"Minor loss due to Sudden contraction" refers to the decrease in energy or pressure that occurs when a fluid passes through a sudden contraction, such as a pipe or nozzle, in a flow system. This decrease in energy is caused by the sudden change in flow area and can result in a loss of efficiency in the system.

What factors contribute to minor loss due to sudden contraction?

The main factors that contribute to minor loss due to sudden contraction include the velocity of the fluid, the size and shape of the contraction, and the viscosity and density of the fluid. Other factors such as surface roughness and turbulence can also affect the amount of minor loss experienced.

How is minor loss due to sudden contraction calculated?

Minor loss due to sudden contraction can be calculated using various equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen-Williams equation. These equations take into account the factors mentioned above and can provide an estimate of the amount of energy loss in a system.

What are some practical applications of understanding minor loss due to sudden contraction?

Understanding minor loss due to sudden contraction is important in many engineering and scientific fields. It is commonly used in designing and analyzing piping systems, pumps, and turbines. It can also be applied in industries such as oil and gas, water treatment, and HVAC systems.

How can minor loss due to sudden contraction be minimized?

Minor loss due to sudden contraction can be minimized by using proper design techniques, such as gradually increasing the pipe diameter after a sudden contraction, or by using smooth and streamlined fittings. Additionally, reducing the velocity of the fluid and using materials with low surface roughness can also help to minimize minor loss.