Modeling a multiple inlet piping system

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of generalized macroscopic energy balances to model a complex piping system with multiple inlets and one outlet. The proposed method involves calculating pressure and velocity at various points in the system and utilizing both mechanical and total energy balances. The conversation also mentions the use of pumps and liquid collectors in the system. There is a need for a revised diagram and more information in order to fully understand and analyze the problem.
MexChemE
Hello, PF!

I’m trying to model a real piping system, which has multiple inlets and one outlet, so I can’t use Bernoulli’s equation. Instead, I’m planning to use the generalized macroscopic energy balances as shown in BSL, which allow for any number of inlets and outlets. However, first I want to make sure if my implementation of the balances is going to make sense.

I’ve attached a diagram of the system I’m trying to model (please, excuse my drawing skills :biggrin:). I have two condensers, 2 meters above my reference level, everything else is at height zero. The tank’s inlet and outlet are both at the bottom of it. v1, P1, v4 and P4 can be measured on the field. P2 and P3 may be calculated, since both condensers have a liquid collector at the bottom, which could essentially be modeled as a tank. Therefore, I could calculate the pressure at the bottom of the collectors.

Now, BSL proposes both a mechanical energy balance and a total energy balance for the analysis of macroscopic systems, shown here:
[tex]\sum \left[ \left( \frac{v_1^2}{2} + gh_1 + \frac{P_1}{\rho_1} \right) w_1 \right] - \sum \left[ \left( \frac{v_2^2}{2} + gh_2 + \frac{P_2}{\rho_2} \right) w_2 \right] = - W_m + E_c + E_v[/tex]
[tex]\sum \left[ \left( \frac{v_1^2}{2} + gh_1 + \hat{H}_1 \right) w_1 \right] - \sum \left[ \left( \frac{v_2^2}{2} + gh_2 + \hat{H}_2 \right) w_2 \right] = - W_m - Q[/tex]
Where subscript 1 represents inlets and subscript 2 represents outlets. There's no pump inside the control system, so Wm = 0. Since the flow is incompressible, Ec = 0, and Ev represents head losses due to friction and valves, fittings, etc. As you can see in the diagram, there are significant temperature changes across the system, so I suppose both energy balances should be taken into account.

To summarize in a couple of questions:
1. In order to model my system, given the necessary additional equations such as the continuity equation, is it as simple as just plugging in for inlets and outlets, and solve for the unknown variables (in the same way we model a piping system from point A to B with Bernoulli's equation)?
2. How can I reconcile both the mechanical and total energy balances? Is it valid to use them at the same time to model the same system?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attachments

• Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 683
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am having trouble understanding how the arrangement that you have drawn can work . You seem to have flows originating and disappearing almost at random and with no obvious system of pressure differences to cause any steady state flow at all .

Please post a revised diagram and some more descriptive information so that we can understand this problem properly .

Actually doing calculations for pipe work and tank systems is not usually very difficult and we can probably help you with these once we have enough information to work with .

Likes BvU
Nidum said:
I am having trouble understanding how the arrangement that you have drawn can work . You seem to have flows originating and disappearing almost at random and with no obvious system of pressure differences to cause any steady state flow at all .

Please post a revised diagram and some more descriptive information so that we can understand this problem properly .

Actually doing calculations for pipe work and tank systems is not usually very difficult and we can probably help you with these once we have enough information to work with .
There's a pump upstream from point 1 and another one downstream from point 4. As I mentioned before, both velocity and pressure can be measured at points 1 and 4. What I need to find is the velocity at points 2 and 3. Point 3 seems easier to analyze, as I could model the liquid collector at the bottom of condenser 1 as a tank discharging from the bottom. I could do the same for point 2 (condenser 2), but I don't know how the flow from point 1 will affect it, or if there's any chance it could cause flooding in condenser 2.

You would use the first equation if you want to analyze the flow part of the problem. If you wanted to get the temperature changes or the heat flows, you would use the second equation (or, better yet, the difference between the two equations).

1. What is a multiple inlet piping system?

A multiple inlet piping system is a complex network of pipes that are interconnected and have multiple points of entry for fluids or gases. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to transport fluids from one location to another.

2. How do you model a multiple inlet piping system?

Modeling a multiple inlet piping system typically involves creating a computer-aided design (CAD) model using specialized software. This model includes all the components of the piping system, such as pipes, valves, fittings, and pumps, and simulates the flow of fluids or gases through the system.

3. What are the benefits of modeling a multiple inlet piping system?

Modeling a multiple inlet piping system allows for a more accurate and efficient design process. It can help identify potential issues and optimize the system for maximum efficiency and cost-effectiveness. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and maintenance of the system once it is operational.

4. What factors should be considered when modeling a multiple inlet piping system?

When modeling a multiple inlet piping system, factors such as flow rate, pressure, temperature, fluid properties, and pipe material must be taken into account. The system's layout and design requirements, as well as any regulatory or safety standards, should also be considered.

5. Can a multiple inlet piping system be modeled in real-time?

Yes, it is possible to model a multiple inlet piping system in real-time using advanced simulation software. This allows for dynamic analysis and monitoring of the system's performance, making it easier to detect and address any potential issues in real-time.