Modifying integral so that it matches the table

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate a function with a non-identical argument using a formula from a table of integrals. The experts suggest using a substitution or a trig identity to simplify the integration process. Ultimately, it is determined that the formula from the table of integrals can be used by using the substitution u=T+x and factoring out the constant coefficient e-T.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate:

[tex]\int e^x\sin(T+x)\,dx[/tex]

where T is independent of x. I have the following formula from a table of integrals:

int.jpg

I am a little confused as to how I can use this? The arguments of my functions are not identical so I am not sure how to go about this? Can I actually use this formula?

Physics news on Phys.org

Just use

[tex]\sin y = \frac{e^{iy}-e^{-iy}}{2i}.[/tex]

You also could use the trig identity for sin of a sum to use the formulae from integral tables.

fzero said:
Just use

You also could use the trig identity for sin of a sum to use the formulae from integral tables.

hi fzero :smile:

For your latter suggestion: Which trig identity? sine of sum goes to a product of sine and cosine, so my formula would still not apply ...

I would use an ordinary substitution for starters: u = x + T, du = dx. The integral then becomes:
[tex]e^{-T}\int e^u\sin(u)\,du[/tex]

That one can be done using two integration by parts.

Saladsamurai said:
hi fzero :smile:

For your latter suggestion: Which trig identity? sine of sum goes to a product of sine and cosine, so my formula would still not apply ...

Yes, but I'd assume there's an analogous formula for the cos integral. You can also use a change of variables [tex]u=x+T[/tex], for which [tex]e^x = e^{-T} e^u[/tex].

Mark44 said:
I would use an ordinary substitution for starters: u = x + T, du = dx. The integral then becomes:
[tex]e^{-T}\int e^u\sin(u)\,du[/tex]

That one can be done using two integration by parts.

fzero said:
Yes, but I'd assume there's an analogous formula for the cos integral. You can also use a change of variables [tex]u=x+T[/tex], for which [tex]e^x = e^{-T} e^u[/tex].

Ooooo you guys are sneaky!

fzero said:
Just use

This won't help with using the table of integrals.

But, yes, you can use this formula from the table of integrals.

Use the substitution: [tex]u=T+x\quad\to\quad du=dx\ ,\quad\text{also gives: }x=u-T [/tex]

Therefore: [tex]e^x=e^{u-T}=e^{-T}\,e^u\,.[/tex] and e-T is just a constant coefficient.

1. How can I modify an integral to match a specific table?

There are a few different ways to modify an integral to match a table. One method is to use substitution, where you replace each variable in the integral with a new variable that matches the variable in the table. Another method is to break the integral into smaller parts and use the table to find the values for each part.

2. What should I do if the table only has discrete values but the integral has a continuous variable?

In this case, you can use interpolation techniques to estimate the values for the continuous variable in the integral. This involves using the known values in the table to create a curve or line, and then finding the corresponding value for the continuous variable on that curve.

3. Can I modify an integral to match a table if the table has missing values?

Yes, you can still modify the integral to match a table even if there are missing values. You can use extrapolation techniques to estimate the missing values based on the known values in the table. However, it is important to note that these estimates may not be entirely accurate and should be used with caution.

4. What if the table and integral have different limits of integration?

If the table and integral have different limits of integration, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to modify the integral. This involves finding the antiderivative of the integrand and evaluating it at the different limits of integration.

5. Is it always possible to modify an integral to match a given table?

In some cases, it may not be possible to modify an integral to exactly match a given table. This could be due to limitations in the table or the complexity of the integral. However, with the right techniques and approximations, it is often possible to get a close match between the integral and the table.