Moment and force calculation for cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation was about a cantilever beam loaded with a force and a moment, and the process of calculating the reaction force and moment, as well as drawing the shear force and bending moment diagrams. The solution involved drawing a free body diagram and using the equations of static equilibrium, with the moment reaction at the fixed end being equal and opposite of the sum of the moments due to the applied force and moment.
Haye

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=66499&stc=1&d=1392118153.jpg

A cantilever beam (prismatic, rectangular cross section) is loaded at the tip by a force
P and at half its length L by a moment M.

a. Calculate the reaction force and moment.
b. Draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams

Homework Equations

∑F=0; ∑M=0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The reaction force should be -P, so that the total force is zero. But I am not sure if it works the same for the moment, because I think the moment should always be calculated around the same point? Or should the reaction moment just be -M?
b) The shear force I calculated by looking at just a part of the beam, from somewhere in the middle completely to the right. Since it's total force should be zero, I think the shear force would be -P (positive shear is defined as if it would rotate the piece clockwise)
But for the bending moment diagram, I am at a complete loss. I know it should be zero at the right end, but I don't know what I would get at the left and how the moment at the middle is reflected in the diagram.

I hope I made my thoughts clear, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• cantilever.jpg
    cantilever.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 4,098
Physics news on Phys.org
In all such problems, don't try to eyeball the solution: draw the free body diagram and solve for the unknown reactions using the equations of static equilibrium. This will save you a lot of mental turmoil. Plus, in order to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams, you'll have to do this anyway.

Haye said:
I am not sure if it works the same for the moment, because I think the moment should always be calculated around the same point? Or should the reaction moment just be -M?
Would there be a reaction moment at the wall if you took away M and just had P?

SteamKing said:
In all such problems, don't try to eyeball the solution: draw the free body diagram and solve for the unknown reactions using the equations of static equilibrium. This will save you a lot of mental turmoil. Plus, in order to draw the shear force and bending moment diagrams, you'll have to do this anyway.
haruspex said:
Would there be a reaction moment at the wall if you took away M and just had P?

I did draw the free body diagram, but I have a lot of trouble understanding the concept of moment.
There should be a reaction moment at the wall even without P I just realized; this reaction moment has to cancel PL. But I find it really hard to see what I need to do with the moment M.
Would the reaction moment then be -PL-M?

Thank you both for the reply.

Haye said:
I did draw the free body diagram, but I have a lot of trouble understanding the concept of moment.
There should be a reaction moment at the wall even without P I just realized; this reaction moment has to cancel PL. But I find it really hard to see what I need to do with the moment M.

Thank you both for the reply.

It's very simple. In the sum of the forces equation, you only include forces. In the sum of the moments equation, you only include moments due to applied forces and any applied moments.

Since the applied force P produces a moment in the same direction as M, then the moment reaction at the fixed end must be equal and opposite of the sum of these moments. It's also important to establish a positive direction for forces and moments in these problems.

Haye said:
Yes.

Likes 1 person
OK, thank you! I finally understand the problem. I really appreciate the help!

1. What is a moment and force calculation for cantilever beam?

A moment and force calculation for cantilever beam is a method used to determine the internal forces and reactions within a cantilever beam structure. It involves analyzing the external loads and boundary conditions applied to the beam and using equations and principles of mechanics to calculate the internal forces and moments at various points along the beam.

2. Why is it important to calculate the moment and force for cantilever beams?

Calculating the moment and force for cantilever beams is important because it helps engineers and designers ensure that the beam can safely support the applied loads without failing. It also allows for the optimization of beam design, ensuring that the beam is strong enough to withstand the expected loads while also minimizing material and construction costs.

3. What are the key factors that affect moment and force calculations for cantilever beams?

The key factors that affect moment and force calculations for cantilever beams include the applied loads, the beam's geometry and material properties, and the boundary conditions or supports at the beam's ends. The location and magnitude of the applied loads, as well as the type of support and its location, can significantly impact the internal forces and moments within the beam.

4. What are some common methods used to calculate moments and forces for cantilever beams?

There are several methods used to calculate moments and forces for cantilever beams, including the use of equations of static equilibrium, shear and moment diagrams, and methods of sections. Finite element analysis is also commonly used to calculate more complex and variable loading scenarios for cantilever beams.

5. How can the results of moment and force calculations be applied in engineering and design?

The results of moment and force calculations for cantilever beams can be applied in various ways, including selecting appropriate materials and dimensions for the beam, determining the required supports and bracing, and predicting the beam's deflection and stress under different loading scenarios. This information is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the beam in real-world applications.