Moment of Inertia of a drum with center axle

In summary, when finding the moment of inertia of a composite example with a hollow shell, two discs at each end, and a shaft passing through the center, you can either calculate the moment of inertia of each component along their principal axes and use the parallel axis theorem, or treat the entire structure as one body and calculate the moment of inertia accordingly. Both approaches will work, but the former will be simpler.
aamir9
I am confused with how to find moment of inertia of composite example. Like a hollow shell having one disc at each end and a shaft in the centre. How to find out Moment of Inertia if Force is applied tangentially on the shell and if force is applied tangentially on the shaft. Should I sum up three Inertias after calculating separately or I should consider it as one body and calculate it according as a solid mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem"

Last edited by a moderator:
what about 2 discs fixed at the end of shell

Find the moment of inertia of each component (here two discs and the hollow sphere) along their principal axes and then use parallel axis theorem.

Do you have an image of the setup you're talking about? From what I am imagining your setup is, it looks like the shaft goes through the center of both discs, perpendicular to the plane of disc and through one of the diameters of the shell. If this is correct, total moment of inertia would simply be the sum of moment of inertia of individual components.

You understood correctly shaft is passing from the centre of the both discs perpendicularly and from the centre of the Hollow shell parallel to the axis of the shell and each disc is welded at the each end of the hollow shell.

Thanks
I understood what you mean just make it sure either summing up is solution or a one body calculation is proper way because it is a welded structure

aamir9 said:
I understood what you mean just make it sure either summing up is solution or a one body calculation is proper way because it is a welded structure

Both approaches will work, except that one body calculation will be much more complex. You're welcome :smile:

Related to Moment of Inertia of a drum with center axle

What is moment of inertia and why is it important for a drum with center axle?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. For a drum with a center axle, it is important because it determines how much energy is needed to change the drum's rotational speed.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a drum with center axle?

The moment of inertia for a drum with a center axle can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2mr^2, where m is the mass of the drum and r is the radius of the drum.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a drum with center axle?

The moment of inertia for a drum with a center axle is affected by the mass of the drum, the distribution of the mass, and the radius of the drum. The larger the mass and radius, the greater the moment of inertia.

How does moment of inertia impact the performance of a drum with center axle?

The moment of inertia directly affects the drum's rotational speed and the amount of energy needed to change that speed. A larger moment of inertia means it will take more energy to change the drum's speed, while a smaller moment of inertia will allow for quicker changes in speed.

How can moment of inertia be adjusted for a drum with center axle?

Moment of inertia can be adjusted by changing the mass distribution and/or the radius of the drum. By altering these factors, the moment of inertia can be increased or decreased to fit the desired performance of the drum.