Moment of Inertia: Calculating the MOI of a Rolling Can on an Incline

• Thread starter Paymemoney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of calculating the moment of inertia for a metal can rolling down an incline using the equation I = ∑ mr². The conversation also touched on the use of calculus to find the moment of inertia for objects with continuous distributions of mass. It was determined that for this specific problem, using the equation mgh = ½mv² + ½Iω² was the most efficient method.
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

A metal can containing condnsed mushroom soup has a mass of 215g, a height of 10.8cm and a diameter of 6.38cm. It is placed at rest on its side at the top a 3.00m long incline that is at 25.0 degrees to the horizontal and is then released to roll straight down. Assume energy conservation, calculate the moment of interia of the can if it takes 1.50s to reach the bottom of the incline. Which pieces of data if any are unnecessary for calculating the solution

Homework Equations

[tex]I = \sum mr^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i have done, however it is incorrect.
[tex]I = \sum 0.215kg * 0.0319^2[/tex]
[tex]2.19 * 10^{-4}[/tex]

P.S

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help me??

ok can someone tell me if this is the correct equation to find the moment of interia??

[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{2x}{t})^2 + \frac{1}{2}I(\frac{v}{r})^2[/tex]

[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{2x}{t})^2 + \frac{1}{2}I(\frac{x}{tr})^2[/tex]

can you tell me what the correct answer for I is? I worked out a solution but I don't know if it's right

1.21 * 10^-4 kg.m^2

argh i got this right the first time but i crossed out a variable a little too darkly and i ended up wrong by eight times lol..

your solution is correct, except you made a little mistake in it

because v = 2x/t,

v/r should be 2x/tr NOT x/tr

if you want me to explain how to arrive at the equations you posted then ask

I cannot seem to get the right answer

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{2*3}{1.50})^2 + \frac{1}{2}(\frac{2*3}{1.50*0.0319})^{2}I = 9.8 * 3sin(25)[/tex]

[tex]8+ 7861.557964I = 12.4249769[/tex]

[tex]I = 5.53 * 10^{-4}[/tex]

Last edited:
you tried to cancel out the mass terms, but you actually can't because there is no mass on the rotational energy term. if you tried to divide both sides by mass then you would have to divide the middle term by 0.215

warning: do not get confused if you read this
I think you may be confused because the rotational inertia does in fact depend on mass.

You should talk to your teacher about this or consult a textbook about this, but the inertia is actually an integral, and after evaluating the integral you would find that
I = some constant x MR^2.

For a perfect cylinder, I = 0.5 MR^2 (although a soup can is not a perfect cylinder)

The lesson is that I is its own term, don't get confused by its dependence on mass - you can't divide out mass from it unless you know what the constant is

thanks i understand now.

Just a quick question, i don't quite understand why would i use the 3sin(25) instead of the 10.8cm as the height when finding the PE?*Edit don't worry i know, because 10.8 is the height of the can soup.

another question, why wouldn't you use I=MR^2 to find moment of inertia?

well i touched on it in my spoiler, but because a soup can is a continuous distribution of particles, you would actually have to use an integral (this is all calculus concepts)

I = ∑ M R²

if you consider a small section of mass ∆M then all the particles in this section are close together and have approximately equal radius Ri so

I = ∑ Ri² ∆M

Then you take this limit as ∆M → 0, which is a Riemann sum, so

I = ∫ R² dM

What all this means is that if all the mass were located at the same distance from the axis of rotation, then the integral would become I = M R²

But for a soup can a lot of the mass lies inside the outer shell, so you would have to add up all of the mass-radius inside, which has smaller Ri. If you know integral calculus then you can compute the integral for a cylinder to be I = .5 MR²

so basically in order for you to find the moment of inertia using [tex]I = \ssum MR^2[/tex] you would have to add up all the mass and radius from the center. Hence a faster way is using the approach in my above posts.

For any object that doesn't have a defined equation, would you use the approach like what I've done in this question? (assuming it is exactly the same question but different object)

well evaluating the integral of I = ∫ R² dM is used for general circumstances when you want to find the moment of inertia for ALL cylinders or ALL spheres or ALL rectangular prisms etc.

The method used to solve this problem is good for evaluating the moment of inertia of a particular object you're experimenting on. But sometimes you just want to skip the experiments and go to a general expression.

As for whether one method is faster or not, I like to think of physics concepts as tools instead of being on a ladder of absolute usefulness. In some situations the method used for this problem is better, in others computing the integral may be faster, but it isn't always faster for every case.

In my physics classe our teacher just gives us a list of moment of inertia's for common objects but we still have to do the problem for weirder distributions.

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is often denoted by the symbol I and is calculated by summing the mass of each particle in the object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different physical properties of an object. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of its rotational inertia. In simple terms, mass determines how much force is required to accelerate an object, while moment of inertia determines how much force is required to rotate an object.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its shape, mass distribution, and the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass and more spread out mass distribution will have a higher moment of inertia, while objects with a smaller mass and more compact mass distribution will have a lower moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia related to angular momentum?

Moment of inertia and angular momentum are related through the equation L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This means that the moment of inertia determines how fast an object will rotate for a given amount of angular momentum.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an object can change if there is a change in the object's mass distribution or axis of rotation. For example, if an object's mass is redistributed further away from the axis of rotation, its moment of inertia will increase. Similarly, if the axis of rotation is changed, the moment of inertia will also change.