Moment with two unknown forces

In summary: If he does not respond in some reasonable time, then delete it.In summary, the conversation discusses a static problem involving a beam with a length of 167.5mm. It is supported at 24.5mm and has two forces, 6600kgf and F1, acting at 128.5mm and 167.5mm along the beam, respectively. The problem is to calculate the values of F1 and F2. However, there are uncertainties in the problem, such as the direction of the forces and the location of the 6600kgf force. The solution would require two simultaneous equations and a clear understanding of the problem's specifications.
Buns_of_Steel
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Ok here goes. It's been a long time since I've done anything like this and i just can't remember what to do.

I'e got a beam 167.5mm long. It is supported at 24.5mm along the beam.

6600kgf acts at one end of the beam.

F1 acts at 128.5mm along the beam. F2 acts at 167.5mm along the beam.

F1 and F2 are different and the beam is balanced.

How do i calculate F1 and F2?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
You posted in the homework section so should use the template.

Perhaps start with a diagram?

It's a static problem so the net force is zero and the net torque about any point is zero.

It's a static problem so the net force is zero and the net torque about any point is zero.[/QUOTE]

I agree with static problem thing.
But how can we get F1 and F2.

Universeer said:
But how can we get F1 and F2.
You have to show some work before we are allowed to help you.

Universeer said:
It's a static problem so the net force is zero and the net torque about any point is zero.

But how can we get F1 and F2.[/QUOTE]
Let's see your force- and moment balance equations.

As there are two unknowns (F1 and F2) you will need two simultaneous equations. See my post #2 for a hint.

Looks like 3 unknowns. The single support reaction is an unknown. There is no specific solution. If the problem is stated correctly.

Last edited:
On reading the OP again I think I agree.

PhanthomJay said:
Looks like 3 unknowns. The single support reaction is an unknown. There is no specific solution. If the problem is stated correctly.
It's worse than that. The problem doesn't state how the forces F1 and F2 are acting: Are they both acting upwards? One up one down? Something else? Which end of the beam is the 6600 kgf acting?

I'm very tempted to simply delete the thread and ask the OP to start over with a full disclosure of the original question in its original form (and to use the template, of course).

I wouldn't delete it. I think better to close it until the OP responds to your PM.

1. What is a moment with two unknown forces?

A moment with two unknown forces is a situation in which there are two forces acting on an object, but the magnitude and direction of these forces are unknown. This creates a moment, or rotational force, on the object, making it difficult to determine the object's overall motion.

2. How do you calculate the moment with two unknown forces?

The moment with two unknown forces can be calculated using the principle of moments, which states that the sum of clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments. By setting up equations for each force and solving for the unknowns, the moment can be determined.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the moment with two unknown forces?

The magnitude of the moment with two unknown forces is affected by the distance between the forces, the magnitudes of the forces, and the angle at which the forces are applied. The greater the distance and force magnitude, the larger the moment will be. The angle can also play a role in amplifying or reducing the moment.

4. How can a moment with two unknown forces be balanced?

To balance a moment with two unknown forces, the principle of moments can be used. By setting up equations for the clockwise and counterclockwise moments and solving for the unknowns, the forces can be adjusted to create a balance, resulting in a net moment of zero.

5. Why is understanding moments with two unknown forces important in science?

Moments with two unknown forces are important in science because they help explain the rotational motion of objects. This understanding is crucial in fields such as engineering, where the stability and balance of structures depend on accurately calculating and balancing moments. Additionally, moments with two unknown forces can also be used to analyze the motion of biological systems, such as the human body.