1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments of inertia

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Hi I have a few problems from 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers' by Serwat and Jewett, chap 10

Prob. 51

A cylinder of mass 10 kg rolls without slipping on a horizontal surface. At the instant its centre of mass has a speed of 10 m/s. Determine (a) the translational kinetic energy of its centre of mass (b) the rotational kinetic energy about its centre of mass (c) its total energy.

(a) turns out to be 500 J and (c) is the sum of E.K. rotational and E.K. translational however (b) is a mystery for me, I would appreciate someone helping me out.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: What does "rolling without slipping" mean?

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    Is that a hint or a question? If it's a hint I dont get the connection ... if it's a ques well in the rolling without slipping scenario velocity of the contact point (with the surface) is zero ... I know that if v of centre of mass will be half of the v at the top point. However for rotational kinetic energy I would need the moment of inertia, how do i calculate that? Btw the answer is 250 J, in case tht helps

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sure it's a hint! :smile:
    The condition for "rolling without slipping" gives you the relationship between translational and rotational speeds.
    What's the moment of inertia of a cylinder? :wink:

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    Thanks Doc Al! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?