1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum perturbation to harmonic oscillator

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the problem and a possible solution(obtained from a book) is attached as a pdf to the post.However Iam unable to understand it.Please download the attachment.

2. Relevant equations
    equation no (2) in the pdf.Is there any use of space translation operator in here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved this problem using perturbation theory.however Iam intrigued by the method used here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It can be understood using the properties of the Fourier transform. Since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are canonically conjugate, transformation from [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] to [itex]\psi(p)[/itex] is done by a Fourier transform. And from their properties, it is known that shifting the zero in one variable will be equivalent to a complex phase shift in the other.

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much for your reply.can you refer me any link or book where i could get problems on translation operators.

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't if it's the right level for you, but you can take a look at W. Greiner & B. Müller, Quantum Mechanics: Symmetries (Springer).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted