Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Monic Generator (Minimal Polynomial)

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    Let V be the space of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 over the reals. Define the transformation, H, as a mapping from V to R[x] by [tex](Hp)(x)=\int^x_{-1}p(t)dt\\[/tex]. a) Find the monic generator, d, which generates the ideal, M, containing the range of H.
    b) If [tex]f\in{M\cap Range(H)[/tex] then [tex]f=dg[/tex] where d is given above. Show that [tex]g\in{V} [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the monic generator is the minimal polynomial which annihilates H. The way I would find the minimal polynomial is
    1. find a basis for V
    2. find the matrix representation for H with respect the basis
    3. find the characteristic eqn of the matrix
    4. the minimal polynomial divides the characteristic polynomial.

But when I try step 2, I keep getting a 4 x 3 matrix which doesn't have a determinant. So i don't know how I would find the characteristic eqn.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

H maps V into a 3 dimensional subspace of R[x]. Use that three dimensional subspace as the "range" space rather than R[x] and you will get a 3 by 3 matrix.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook