1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monic Generator (Minimal Polynomial)

1. Jun 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    Let V be the space of all polynomials of degree less than or equal to 2 over the reals. Define the transformation, H, as a mapping from V to R[x] by [tex](Hp)(x)=\int^x_{-1}p(t)dt\\[/tex]. a) Find the monic generator, d, which generates the ideal, M, containing the range of H.
    b) If [tex]f\in{M\cap Range(H)[/tex] then [tex]f=dg[/tex] where d is given above. Show that [tex]g\in{V} [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the monic generator is the minimal polynomial which annihilates H. The way I would find the minimal polynomial is
    1. find a basis for V
    2. find the matrix representation for H with respect the basis
    3. find the characteristic eqn of the matrix
    4. the minimal polynomial divides the characteristic polynomial.

But when I try step 2, I keep getting a 4 x 3 matrix which doesn't have a determinant. So i don't know how I would find the characteristic eqn.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

H maps V into a 3 dimensional subspace of R[x]. Use that three dimensional subspace as the "range" space rather than R[x] and you will get a 3 by 3 matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook