Why Does a Moving Rod Appear Inclined in Different Reference Frames?

In summary, the conversation discussed the coordinates and angle of a rod in two different frames of reference, S and S'. The leftmost tip of the rod was identified as C0 = (t', 0, ut', 0) in S', and the opposite tip as C1 = (t', L, ut', 0). The angle phi can be found using the relationship tan(phi) = Delta x / Delta y, with Delta x being calculated as gamma L and Delta y remaining unknown. The individual's attempt to use velocity composition to find Delta y in S was discussed, but it was found to be incorrect due to the rod being parallel to the x' axis, not the y' axis.
Data Base Erased
Homework Statement
A ##S'## frame moves with velocity ##v\hat{e_{x}}## with respect to a S frame.

There's a rod with length ##L##, parallel to the ##x'## axis moving with velocity ##u \hat{e_{y'}}##.

Show that the rod seems inclined and what's the inclination angle?
Relevant Equations
##t = \gamma (t' + vx')##

##x = \gamma(x' + vt')##

##t' = \gamma (t - vx)##

##x' = \gamma(x - vt)##
Ateempt of solution:

There are two key coordinates in this scenario, the leftmost tip of the rod, which in ##S'## is ##C_{0} = (t', 0, ut',0)## and the opposite tip
##C_{1} = (t', L,ut',0)##

An angle ##\phi## could be found through a relationship such as ##tan(\phi) = \frac{ \Delta x}{ \Delta y} ##

For ##\Delta x## I have
## x_{0} = \gamma ( x_{0'} + vt') = \gamma vt'## and

##x_{1} = \gamma (x_{1'} + vt') = \gamma (L + vt')##.

##\Delta x = \gamma (L + vt' - vt') = \gamma L##

For ##\Delta y## I'm not sure how to calculate its coordinates in ##S##. Should I use the velocity composition formula? The lorentz transformations would be trivially applied then?

Edit:
I tried to deduce a composition for this case in the following manner

In ##S'##, ##u_{s'} = \frac {\Delta y'}{\Delta t'} ##

I can write these for ##S## to find ##\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t}##

##u_{s'} = \frac {\Delta y}{\gamma (\Delta t - v \Delta x)} ## and dividing by ##\Delta t##

##u_{s'} = \frac{ u_{s}}{\gamma (1 - v u_{s})}##

Solving for ##u_{s}## I get ##u_{s} = \frac{ u_{s'} \gamma}{1+ \gamma u_{s'} v}##

So to find the ##y## coordinates do I use

##y = \gamma_{u_{s}} (y' + u_{s} t')##

but this is wrong because all these parameters are the same for both ##C_{0'}## and ##C_{1'}##, what would imply ##y_{0} = y_{1}## hence ##\Delta y = 0##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rod is parallel to the ##x'## axis. You have it parallel to the ##y'## axis.

Likes Data Base Erased
PeroK said:
The rod is parallel to the x′ axis. You have it parallel to the y′ axis.
Thanks, I'll edit the post

1. What causes a moving rod to seem inclined?

The apparent inclination of a moving rod is caused by a phenomenon known as the "wagon-wheel effect." This occurs when the frequency of the strobe light or camera shutter used to capture the motion is synchronized with the rotation of the rod, creating an illusion of a stationary or inclined object.

2. Is the inclination of a moving rod always an optical illusion?

Yes, the apparent inclination of a moving rod is always an optical illusion caused by the wagon-wheel effect. In reality, the rod is moving in a straight line with no inclination.

3. Can the inclination of a moving rod be manipulated?

Yes, the inclination of a moving rod can be manipulated by changing the frequency of the strobe light or camera shutter. By adjusting the frequency, the wagon-wheel effect can be eliminated, and the rod will appear to be moving in a straight line without any inclination.

4. Does the speed of the moving rod affect its inclination?

No, the speed of the moving rod does not affect its inclination. The apparent inclination is solely dependent on the frequency of the strobe light or camera shutter used to capture the motion.

5. How does the wagon-wheel effect impact other moving objects?

The wagon-wheel effect can impact other moving objects in a similar way, creating an illusion of stationary or inclined objects. This phenomenon is commonly observed in videos of rotating propellers, spinning wheels, and other circular motions.