Multibody dynamics: reverse bungee

In summary, To simulate a reverse bungee ejection seat, you need to calculate the spring constants and damping constant of the bungee cords attached to the vehicle. This can be done by using the formula F=m*a and the original length of the ropes to calculate the spring constant, and the critical damping to determine the damping constant. However, when considering the movement of the vehicle, there are also rotational forces to take into account. These can be determined by using the equations for angular momentum and angular acceleration.
sneakster
1. I need to simulate a reverse bungee ejection seat (carnaval ride). This is a vehicle attached to two masts with bungee cords. I know the mass, air drag and acceleration (4.8 g). The first step is to calcutate the spring constants of the bungee cords and the damping constant (relative damping of 10%)

2. In order to calculate the spring and damping constants I have used: F=m*a. Thus F=400*4.8*9.81. I have used the original length of the ropes to calculate k and used the critical damping (critical damping=2*sqrt(k*m)) to determine c. (c=0.1* critical damping)

3.The trouble I am encountering is with the movement of the vehicle. The displacement depends on the accelerations, but the acceleration changes over time. For the movement in upward direction I have used the following: F=m*a+Fs+Fd-m*g-D. But there are also rotational forces, becuase the vehicle spins around its y-axis, which causes forces in the z and x-direction.

Can anyone help me with determining the proper forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
4. The rotational forces can be determined by considering the angular momentum. The angular momentum is defined as L=I*ω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. So, the force in the z-direction is Fz=I*α, where α is the angular acceleration. The force in the x-direction is Fx=-L*ω. You can use these equations to determine the forces acting on the vehicle in the different directions.

1. What is multibody dynamics?

Multibody dynamics is a branch of mechanics that studies the motion of interconnected bodies, such as a system of rigid bodies or a system of flexible bodies. It takes into account the forces, moments, and kinematic relationships between the bodies in order to accurately analyze and predict their motion.

2. What is a reverse bungee?

A reverse bungee, also known as a reverse bungee jump or bungee rocket, is an amusement ride that uses bungee cords and a pulley system to launch riders into the air. The riders are seated in a capsule or cage and are propelled upwards at high speeds, experiencing weightlessness and extreme G-forces.

3. How does multibody dynamics apply to reverse bungee?

Multibody dynamics is crucial in understanding the complex and dynamic motion of a reverse bungee ride. It helps engineers and designers analyze the forces and interactions between the different components of the ride, such as the bungee cords, pulleys, and capsule, in order to ensure the safety and efficiency of the ride.

4. What are the main challenges in modeling reverse bungee using multibody dynamics?

One of the main challenges in modeling reverse bungee using multibody dynamics is accurately representing the nonlinear behavior of the bungee cords and the complex interactions between the different components of the ride. Additionally, the extreme forces and accelerations experienced by the riders make it necessary to use advanced simulation techniques and high-performance computing.

5. How is multibody dynamics used in the design and optimization of reverse bungee rides?

Multibody dynamics plays a crucial role in the design and optimization of reverse bungee rides. It allows engineers to simulate and analyze different design configurations and operating conditions, helping them to identify potential issues and optimize the design for safety, efficiency, and rider experience.