Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple couples

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    I didn't know where to post this since these forums are missing the best field of engineering (Civil/Structural). :wink:

Anywho, I got to thinking about this situation - a simply supported beam (or indeterminate to the nth degree even), or even a cantilever, with multiple concentrated moments. How would one go about drawing a moment or curvature diagram for this? I drew up this hypothetical idea (see attached I guess).

You'd think on my third year of this stuff, I'd have a good idea on what to do with a situation like this, but I just seem to get very confused. I don't really know where a situation would come up like this in practice, but it's more the theory of the situation that I'm interested in.

For a concentrated moment (one), I know you can usually just say clockwise or counter-clockwise positive, but even then, drawing the moment diagram gets me. Can anyone give some insight on the best way to approach this situation?

I want to throw this in - this is NOT a homework problem, extra credit problem, etc. This is simply my own interest (and because my Structural Analysis professor is kind of mean and likes to demoralize students, so I hate asking him questions). :) Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Assuming you stay within linear boundaries, simply solve three individual problems, i.e. the beam with one couple at three different locations, and superimpose the results to arrive at the final.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?