Multiplier Circuits: Get Info Here

• Thread starter runo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, multipliers are devices that increase the power of an input signal. There are voltage multipliers, frequency multipliers, photo multipliers, digital multipliers. Wikipedia has a lot more information on them.
runo
I need to get information about multiplier circuits.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was suppose to say Analog multipliers.

runo said:
I was suppose to say Analog multipliers.

What do you find when you use Google or wikipedia.org? We would prefer that you ask an informed question here, rather than an open-ended question with many long answers possible. Especially if it is for schoolwork.

Look at the Analog Devices 250 MHz, 4 quadrant AD835 analog multiplier.
Bob S

You might try researching under Gilbert cell. Barrie Gilbert is the inventor of the multiplier. He came up with it as variable gain control for use in Tek scopes.

There are two incarnations out there. One is a six transistor design that is used for RF mixing (reference SA612). These are not suited to analytic functions because they lack the distortion reduction circuitry found in Gilbert's original design.

The following site has the internal schematic for Gilbert's original multiplier:
http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn2477.pdf
The circuit is on page 5 and the critical elements are the two transistors in the upper left corner. They pre-distort the voltage to the multiplier cell, thus linearizing it.

In addition to this circuit, there is the one quadrant multiplier, which is based on log and antilog amps. National has a good treatment on this:
http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-30.pdf#page=1

There are other techniques as well, such as converting value x into a PWM and using it to actuate an analog switch to chop between value y and 0 volts. The output is then filtered to remove the high frequency noise from the PWM carrier.

In all these techniques, though, none is as cost effective and stable as pulling you signal into the digital domain. I've repeatedly started to use an analog method, and I keep going back to digital.

- Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a multiplier (mixer) using four diodes. I show it multiplying 550 kHz and 5.5 MHz.
Bob S

Attachments

• Multipler1.jpg
    Multipler1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 520
Many thanks!

There were earlier multipliers that used potentiometers tied to servo motors (god help it if a piece of dirt got in the servo pot!)

There was also the parabolic multiplier, which used long strings of resistors and diodes to approximate x^2.

ab = [ (a+b)^2 - (a-b)^4 ] / 4

Mike

1. What is a multiplier circuit?

A multiplier circuit is an electronic circuit that performs basic arithmetic multiplication operations. It is composed of multiple electronic components such as diodes, transistors, and resistors that work together to multiply two or more inputs and produce a single output.

2. How does a multiplier circuit work?

A multiplier circuit uses a combination of analog and digital circuitry to perform multiplication operations. The inputs are converted into digital signals, which are then multiplied using various logic gates and amplifiers. The output is then converted back into an analog signal, providing the final multiplied result.

3. What are the applications of multiplier circuits?

Multiplier circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as calculators, computers, and digital signal processing systems. They are also used in communication systems, motor control circuits, and power management circuits.

4. What are the advantages of using a multiplier circuit?

Multiplier circuits offer fast and accurate multiplication calculations, making them essential in many electronic devices. They also have a small footprint and can be integrated into other circuits, making them cost-effective and efficient.

5. Are there different types of multiplier circuits?

Yes, there are different types of multiplier circuits, including analog multiplier circuits, digital multiplier circuits, and hybrid multiplier circuits. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications depending on the specific requirements.