Multipole Expansion Homework: Potential in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving four particles placed at different distances from the origin and finding an approximate formula for the potential at points far from the origin. The conversation also touched on using the law of cosines and the multipole expansion to determine the dominant multipole moment and the Legendre polynomials in the expansion. The conversation ended with a suggestion to create a new thread for a different problem.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

Four particles are each placed a distance a from the origin
3q at (0,a)
-2q at (a,0)
-2q at (-a,0)
q at (0,-a)
find the simple approximate formula for the potential valid at points far from the origin. Express in Spherical coordinates

Homework Equations

P=qr
##V = \frac{1}{4*pi*ε_o}*\frac{p*r}{r^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

the first step seems to be to say that

?temp_hash=135de8f9654bceca808e21b7d9c92ec7.png

I don't understand this.
The way I did this was to use the law of cosines and I added the potentials up for some point r distance away From the origin due to the four point charges. This gave me a big mess. this is supposed to be the official soln.
I don't understand why the z component is just the two charges on the z axis, and y the y component is just the charges on the y axis. doesn't each charge affect each component?

Attachments

• 172-3-27p-i8.png
    172-3-27p-i8.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
##\vec p## is the dipole moment. Only the two charges along the ##z## axis contribute to the ##z##-component of the dipole moment since the other charges are located at ##z = 0##.

In more generality, the dipole moment is given by (assuming zero net charge)
$$
\vec p = \sum_i q_i \vec x_i,
$$
where ##q_i## is the charge and ##\vec x_i## the position of particle ##i##.

Orodruin said:
##\vec p## is the dipole moment. Only the two charges along the ##z## axis contribute to the ##z##-component of the dipole moment since the other charges are located at ##z = 0##.

In more generality, the dipole moment is given by (assuming zero net charge)
$$
\vec p = \sum_i q_i \vec x_i,
$$
where ##q_i## is the charge and ##\vec x_i## the position of particle ##i##.

position relative to the origin? That makes sense if that's true, but I am looking for it with a position far away from the origin. so if I draw a line connecting each charge to my point, each line has a y and z component.

using the traditional method, the potential at the origin should be 0 right. they are all at the same distance away, and the charges add up to 0.

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
position relative to the origin?
Yes.

grandpa2390 said:
That makes sense if that's true, but I am looking for it with a position far away from the origin.
You are looking for the field far away from the origin in comparison to where the particles are located. This is dominated by the lowest order non-vanishing multipole moment - in this case the dipole moment (the monopole moment is zero as the total charge is zero).

grandpa2390 said:
so if I draw a line connecting each charge to my point, each line has a y and z component.
This is irrelevant. This is taken care of by the multipole expansion and (since your dipole moment is dominating at large distances) the field far away from the charge configuration will be completely determined by the dipole moment.

grandpa2390 said:
using the traditional method, the potential at the origin should be 0 right. they are all at the same distance away, and the charges add up to 0.
Yes, but I do not see how this is relevant to your problem. You need the potential far away from the origin, not at the origin.

Likes grandpa2390
Orodruin said:
Yes.You are looking for the field far away from the origin in comparison to where the particles are located. This is dominated by the lowest order non-vanishing multipole moment - in this case the dipole moment (the monopole moment is zero as the total charge is zero).This is irrelevant. This is taken care of by the multipole expansion and (since your dipole moment is dominating at large distances) the field far away from the charge configuration will be completely determined by the dipole moment.Yes, but I do not see how this is relevant to your problem. You need the potential far away from the origin, not at the origin.
Can you tell me how they got from the second line to the third line here:

230510-6-png.195282.png

http:// https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/230510-6-png.195282/?temp_hash=43fa2e3a321f0257bb4467f1b059eff3
Why is the Pcos(theta) = 1/2 5cos^3 - 3cos^2
Is it a half angle formula type deal or what?

Attachments

• 230510-6.png
    230510-6.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you move to another problem? The octopole is not dominating your setup at large distances. The ##P_\ell## is a Legendre polynomial.

Orodruin said:
Did you move to another problem? The octopole is not dominating your setup at large distances. The ##P_\ell## is a Legendre polynomial.

I'm sorry. it is a different problem. I just didn't want to spam the forum with multiple threads. This is a different problem.

Do you know how they expanded the P*cos or do you need the whole problem? I figured it might have been just an identity or something, and I didn't want to create a whole new thread for something that I thought was just a simple rule. I can create one though if need be.

and it is actually P_n

Last edited:
grandpa2390 said:
I'm sorry. it is a different problem. I just didn't want to spam the forum with multiple threads. This is a different problem.

Do you know how they expanded the P*cos or do you need the whole problem? I figured it might have been just an identity or something, and I didn't want to create a whole new thread for something that I thought was just a simple rule. I can create one though if need be.

and it is actually P_n
##P_n## or ##P_\ell##, it is completely irrelevant what you call the index. It is a Legendre polynomial all the same. The Legendre polynomials (or more generally, associated Legendre functions) evaluated at ##\cos\theta## contain the typical angular dependence of the multipole expansions (they form part of the spherical harmonics). ##\ell = 0## is the monopole with ##P_0(x) = 1##, ##\ell = 1## is the dipole with ##P_1(x) = x##, ##\ell = 2## is the quadrupole with ##P_2(x) = (3x^2 -1)/2## and so on and so forth.

By the way, you should make a new thread for a new problem - filling in the homework template and showing your effort.

Likes grandpa2390
Orodruin said:
##P_n## or ##P_\ell##, it is completely irrelevant what you call the index. It is a Legendre polynomial all the same. The Legendre polynomials (or more generally, associated Legendre functions) evaluated at ##\cos\theta## contain the typical angular dependence of the multipole expansions (they form part of the spherical harmonics). ##\ell = 0## is the monopole with ##P_0(x) = 1##, ##\ell = 1## is the dipole with ##P_1(x) = x##, ##\ell = 2## is the quadrupole with ##P_2(x) = (3x^2 -1)/2## and so on and so forth.

By the way, you should make a new thread for a new problem - filling in the homework template and showing your effort.

Thanks.

1. What is a multipole expansion in spherical coordinates?

A multipole expansion in spherical coordinates is a mathematical technique used to describe the potential of a system in terms of multiple sources, each with their own specific contribution to the overall potential. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to approximate the behavior of complex systems.

2. How is the potential in spherical coordinates calculated?

The potential in spherical coordinates is calculated using an integral formula that takes into account the distance from the origin, the angle of the point, and the contribution of each source to the potential. This formula is derived from the fundamental laws of electromagnetism and can be solved using various techniques such as calculus and algebra.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates for the multipole expansion?

Spherical coordinates offer a natural and convenient way to describe the potential of a system with spherical symmetry. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the system, as well as to make approximations and predictions. Additionally, spherical coordinates are often used in real-world applications, making the multipole expansion more applicable and relevant.

4. Are there any limitations to using the multipole expansion in spherical coordinates?

Yes, the multipole expansion in spherical coordinates is limited to systems with spherical symmetry. If the system does not have this symmetry, the multipole expansion may not accurately describe its behavior. In these cases, other coordinate systems or mathematical techniques may be more appropriate.

5. How is the multipole expansion in spherical coordinates used in practical applications?

The multipole expansion in spherical coordinates is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is particularly useful in situations where the system has spherical symmetry, such as in the analysis of electric fields around charged spheres or the behavior of fluids in a spherical container. It is also used in engineering and design to approximate the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their performance.