1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable extrema

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x,y) = x^3 - 3x^2 - 6xy + 7y + y^2, x>=0, y>=0
    i) Explain why f attains its minimum value on the quadrant.
    ii) Find the critical points and classify them

2. Relevant equations
    df/dx = 3x^2 - 6x -6y
    df/dy = -6x + 7 +2y

d^2f/dx^2 = 6x-6
    d^2f/dy^2 = 2
    d^2f/(dxdy) = -6

3. The attempt at a solution
    It's been awhile since I've done problems like this. Hopefully I am making some sense.
    I'm not sure about i). Couldn't x=-infinity and y=-1 yield -infinity?
    For ii) I get the critical points to be (7, 35/2) and (1, -1/2), but (1, -1/2) is not in the constraints. fxx is positive and the determinant of the Hessian at the first point is negative so it is a saddle point. If the constraints weren't there, how would I figure out the other point since fxx=0?
    iii) I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If f(x,y) does attain a minimum in {x,y ≥ 0} it does so either at an interior point (i.e., a stationary point) or on the boundary ({x=0} or {y=0}). You can check f along the two boundary lines {x=0,y≥0} and {y=0,x≥0}. Then, the only remaining question is whether f is bounded from below in the first quadrant. If I were doing the question I would check whether f is bounded from below on the non-negative x and y axes, and if it is bounded from below for points of the form (x,k*x) with k > 0 and x ≥ 0.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook