Mutual Inductance Homework Help: Q4d Stuck, Need Advice

In summary, if you are given values for C and ω, you can find Leq by substituting Y = 0 into the admittance or impedance equation.
billyray

Homework Statement

I have included the questions and circuits. I have used previous post to help but am still stuck

Homework Equations

included in files

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked hard to get to the question 4d. I am stuk because using previous posts to help I do not know if I need to use an admittance formula. I seem to get my answer from the resonance equation and the L equate one.

Attachments

• attempt.pdf
    159.3 KB · Views: 231
  • questions.docx
    91.8 KB · Views: 182
Physics news on Phys.org
If you scroll down to the bottom of this page you'll see a section labelled:

Similar Discussions: Mutual inductance

Under it is a list of similar threads that might help you. In fact, the last one in the list is

Parallel Mutual Inductances

which handles the very same question.

o.k. i will go look at these. I have been looking though. i just don't understand why i need to solve admittance for. i just thought i put L equate into resonance equation and then use that in the big equation
ind33-gif.gif
with M=k*L

Attachments

• ind33-gif.gif
    ind33-gif.gif
    669 bytes · Views: 357
hi gneill
i am finding this equation in the post really hard:
So for the inductor and capacitor in parallel the total admittance is:
upload_2018-2-11_14-4-27.png

You're given values for C and ω, so it's a snap to find Leq if Y is zero.
I have gone through so many texts i have forgotten a lot. Do I need this equation or am i o.k with the resonance one that seems to give me L-equate that i need. Or am i wrong in thinking i can use a parallel inductor (L-equate) in the equation
upload_2018-2-11_14-9-8.png

my texts say nothing about using parallel inductors as L

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-11_14-4-27.png
    1,013 bytes · Views: 302
  • upload_2018-2-11_14-9-8.png
    534 bytes · Views: 301
billyray said:
I have gone through so many texts i have forgotten a lot. Do I need this equation or am i o.k with the resonance one that seems to give me L-equate that i need.
You can do either, as they both arrive at the same result. In fact, the formula that you call "the resonance one" can be derived from the other one, as resonance occurs when the admittance is minimized (equal to zero when it's just L and C involved).

Thanks gneill you have helped so much.
Is it ok to use L-equate in place of L in the equation?

billyray said:
Thanks gneill you have helped so much.
Is it ok to use L-equate in place of L in the equation?
That depends on what you mean by "L in the equation". If the equation is the one in post #3, then there is ##L_T##, ##L_1##, and ##L_2##. Which one are you intending to replace by your L-equate?

i mean l -equate as l total

Attachments

• 4.d.pdf
    163.5 KB · Views: 179
am I ok in solving as the upload above without the y equation

billyray said:
am I ok in solving as the upload above without the y equation
When you wrote:
upload_2018-2-19_6-22-43.png

You actually assumed that this would be the resonant frequency. That's okay if you are sure that it is so.

If you started with the admittance expression for the circuit (your "y equation"), setting y = 0 would lead to the same result, while also proving that your assumption was correct.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-19_6-22-43.png
    upload_2018-2-19_6-22-43.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 309
that is the equation in my book. I am sure its right you have me worried now?

im not sure my maths can do that though

billyray said:
that is the equation in my book. I am sure its right you have me worried now?
Don't worry. Either way you end up with the same expression for the resonant frequency for this circuit.

If the circuit had been more complicated, it's possible that the resonant frequency could be shifted away from ##\omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{L C}}## by the introduction of damping terms. Then you'd want to start with the admittance or impedance expression in order to find the resonance. That method always works.

thanks gneill

i will come back to practicing the other equation when my maths gets better. Thanks for your help.

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field in one circuit induces a voltage in another circuit. This is due to the interaction between the two circuits and their respective magnetic fields.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance is calculated by taking the ratio of the induced voltage in one circuit to the rate of change of current in the other circuit. It is also dependent on the physical characteristics and relative positions of the two circuits.

3. What factors affect mutual inductance?

The factors that affect mutual inductance include the number of turns in the coils, the distance between the two circuits, the size and shape of the coils, and the permeability of the materials used.

4. How is mutual inductance different from self-inductance?

Mutual inductance and self-inductance are both related to the production of an induced voltage by a changing magnetic field. However, mutual inductance involves the interaction between two separate circuits, while self-inductance involves the interaction within a single circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance has many practical applications, such as in transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in wireless charging technology, where a changing magnetic field is used to transfer energy between two objects without the need for physical contact.