Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My cat has a problem

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My kitty has a catnip addiction. I'm totally serious...she'll meow and meow until I give her a pinch of it, which I do because...well I just want her to shut up. Her will is stronger than mine and she can meow for hours!

Don't suggest a 12-step program...she'd have to WANT to change and she really doesn't.

Is catnip dangerous to cats? Am I a bad person for enabling my kitty's addiction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Can you tease her with toys until she's so played-out that she wants a nap more than catnip?

(Fight really hard not to throw cat-nap into answer. Just because it's lisab.)

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no, once she asks for the "stuff" she's set on it!

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Well, hook her up with a supplier, and let her earn her fix. Catnip pimping .... hmmmm.

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to make her a catnip patch. :uhh:

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

How about if you plant some fragrant herbs that cats might like? Basil is nice, as is lemon-grass, and parsley. If you make her a window-box of "salad" plants maybe she'll shift her attention to them. If she chews them up and rolls in them, she'll smell nice, too.

(Just resist the urge to marinade her....)

8. Sep 8, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I think she'd eventually wise up to the attempts to "cut" her catnip.

You just need to replace her addiction with one that's more socially acceptable. Maybe a nice stray Tom will wander around and she'll have a sex addiction. :wink:

9. Sep 8, 2008 #8

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My cat's time with catnip was short, he became disinterested, my advice is to check upon the actual catnip itself perhaps the content is not at the right level, also you should change sources. Give it some real grass, another guess is that your cat is getting something that it really needs at the moment from the catnip , although I'm not certain as to what this could be ... why do cats dig catnip?

10. Sep 8, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Leave it to you, Moonie!

11. Sep 8, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have a basket full of catnip toys and just leave it out. Several times each evening, presumably when the day's work was done, Einstein would up to walk up to the basket, plant his face in it, and get totally baked. He lived to be a very healthy 17 until he met his fate with a speeding car.

12. Sep 8, 2008 #11
    No, a Tom would be better. Why would you even suggest Moonbear would do something like that?

13. Sep 8, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Because she's got a probe/stimulant thing going with sheep. She could probably scale down to cats, but there's not a lot of research grant money available there, since they already seem to be able to reproduce explosively with no sex-aids. Just sayin....

14. Sep 8, 2008 #13
    Ha ha, interesting....

You could try mixing her catnip with a something that doesn't effect her, and slowly make the level of the fake higher and higher.

15. Sep 9, 2008 #14

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was thinking of that, cut the nip with a placebo. If you want to wean him/her off of it, I would try one of the other Nepeta species, giving kitty a mix of 90% nip for awhile, then cut it to 80% and so on down to 10%, over a length of time. Since you're cutting kitty's stash, she may eventually lose interest. It is guessed the nip mimics one of the cat pheromones and give some (not all) cats the typical silly response.

16. Sep 9, 2008 #15

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Sep 9, 2008 #16
    You're not a bad person, although enabling her addiction isn't going to solve anything.

It's like a child too old for the bottle and who refuses the cup and doesn't stop crying until they get a bottle. You have to endure the crying and be firm until eventually the child learns that they're not getting the bottle.

Same thing with a cat. What you should do is get rid of every single trace of catnip in your house including the toys and throw them all in the bin and get rid of them forever. Then don't ever allow any more into the house.

Your cat will meow for hours or days but won't get any catnip as you won't give it to her. If she won't shut up then put her food and water and litter box in the bathroom and lock her in there until she isn't meowing all the time when she's out.

You'll have to put up with the whining for a period, but eventually she'll stop. She only cries now because she knows that results in a fix. Eventually she'll realize she's not getting any more no matter what. Eventually she'll forget catnip even exists.

18. Sep 9, 2008 #17
    Put your finger into its mouth, it will shut up.
    Many cat player loves it

19. Sep 9, 2008 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interestingly, catnip makes a good mosquito repellent.

20. Sep 9, 2008 #19
    haha, I grow catnip in a pot on my balcony. When we go out I always give him a leaf from it. He loves it, but doesn't seem to be addicted.

21. Sep 9, 2008 #20
    Your a cat nip pusher? I would of never suspected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?