My vehicle needs to pace another vehicle

• Thread starter charlievictor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicle
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is working on a dial display for a car rally computer and is trying to predict the movement of the dial in order to synch it up with the car's position. They are trying to solve a problem without knowing the position where the two vehicles merge. The conversation also includes equations and attempts at solving the problem without using that position. Ultimately, the person comes up with a solution using the quadratic formula to solve for the maximum speed they would reach during the maneuver.
charlievictor
This is not really homework but it is work (fun) and I'm doing it at home. I’m a software guy and haven’t done a lot of physics in awhile. Actually, I’m building a dial display for a car rally computer. It’s basically a clock like display that reads out the odometer. I’m working on the stepper motor control loop for this. I’m trying to predict where the dial needs to move to in order to synch up with the car’s position. In order not to confuse the issue too much, I’ve boiled it down to the following problem. I think I have a solution that works except that the answer depends on the position where the two vehicles merge (t3). Is there a way solve this without having to know t3?

Homework Statement

• I’m in a vehicle traveling at a constant speed of v0. I could be traveling forward (+) or reverse (-).
  • Another vehicle is traveling at a constant speed of v1. It also could be traveling forward (+) or backward (-).
  • The other vehicle is a distance of d1 from me at the start (with both vehicals moving). It could be ether in the positive or negative direction.
  • I want to change my vehicle speed while undergoing a constant acceleration (a) and de-acceleration (-a) to arrive at the other vehicle and pace it at its speed of v1.
  • I would like to know what my maximum speed (v2) I would reach during this maneuver.

Homework Equations

(I'll try to attached my scanned in PDF but here goes)

d2 = 1/2at22 + v0t2
v2 = at2 + v0

d3 = -1/2a(t3-t2)2 + v2(t3-t2) + d2
v3 = v1 = -a(t3-t2) + v2

d3 = v1t3 + d1

I know v0, v1, d1, and a.

I want to solve for v2 without depending on t3.

The Attempt at a Solution

(see my attached my scanned in PDF)

v2 = Sqr((2av1t3 + 2ad1 + v12 + v02)/2)

I plotted this in Excel and it seems to work.

But it seems to me that I should be able to sove this without using t3 or d3.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Graph.pdf
    792.4 KB · Views: 231
  • MyWork.pdf
    593.3 KB · Views: 173
  • GraphWithV2.pdf
    762.3 KB · Views: 202
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out.

For the part of my problem where my vehicle is accelerating to meet the other vehicle, this equation applies:

t2 = (v2 - v0) / a

For the second part where I'm trying to slow down to pace the other vehicle, this one applies:

t3 - t2 = (v2 - v1) / a

If I solve for t3 I get:

t3 = (2v2 - v1 - v0) / a

I my attached PDF work notes, the last equation was this:

2v22 = 2av1t3 + 2ad1 + v12 + v02

If I substitute in my t3 from above, I get this:

0 = 2v22 -4v1v2 + (2v0v1 + v12 - v02 - 2ad1)

I used the quadratic formula to solve this for v2.

1. How does pacing another vehicle affect fuel efficiency?

Pacing another vehicle can actually improve fuel efficiency, as the leading vehicle creates a sort of "slipstream" that reduces wind resistance for the following vehicle. However, this only applies if you maintain a safe distance and do not tailgate.

2. Is it safe to pace another vehicle?

Pacing another vehicle can be safe if done correctly. It is important to maintain a safe distance and to always be aware of your surroundings. Avoid tailgating and make sure to have enough space to brake if necessary.

3. Does pacing another vehicle save time?

In most cases, pacing another vehicle does not save time. In fact, it can sometimes be slower since you are limited to the speed of the vehicle in front of you. It may also result in frequent speed changes, which can actually increase travel time.

4. Can pacing another vehicle lead to accidents?

Yes, pacing another vehicle can increase the risk of accidents if not done safely. Tailgating or following too closely can lead to rear-end collisions, and constantly changing speeds can confuse other drivers. It is important to always practice safe pacing techniques.

5. Are there any laws or regulations regarding pacing another vehicle?

There are no specific laws or regulations regarding pacing another vehicle, but it is important to follow basic traffic laws and safety guidelines. Always maintain a safe distance, avoid tailgating, and be aware of your surroundings. If you are unsure, it is best to avoid pacing and drive at a steady speed.