Mysterious boiling phenomenon during experiment

In summary, the conversation discussed a student's experience in a lab experiment where they had to calculate the heat capacity of metals using thermodynamic relationships. The experiment involved placing a metal sample in a container of liquid nitrogen and measuring the amount of energy transferred. The student noticed a strange phenomenon where the liquid nitrogen would boil more furiously before reaching equilibrium. The explanation given was the Leidenfrost effect, where a vapor shield is disrupted as the metal cools, leading to a different type of boiling. The conversation concluded with a clarification of the terms involved in this process.
aseeb.syed
Greetings,

I am a student in my third year of engineering (materials science) and I was performing a lab experiment in which I was asked to calculate the heat capacity of metals using thermodynamic relationships.

The experiment was done by placing a metal sample into a foam container filled with liquid nitrogen. I had to wait until the liquid nitrogen stopped boiling (this indicated that the temperature of the metal had reached the temperature of the liquid nitrogen. The amount of liquid nitrogen evaporated was measured and used to calculate how much energy was transferred from the metal to the liquid. And from there, the heat capacity was calculated. (That was the experiment in a nutshell).

So the weird thing I noticed was this: During the time I had to wait until the liquid nitrogen stopped boiling, I noticed that RIGHT BEFORE the liquid nitrogen ceased boiling it actually boiled VERY FURIOUSLY and THEN it ceased.

I don't how to explain how to explain this clearly but picture this:

the metal is dropped in the container; you see the liquid nitrogen boiling as usual
you wait and wait
all of sudden it starts to boil a LOT more furiously
then, about a second later, it suddenly calms down and reaches equilibrium.

What I was expecting was that it would just boil then calmly cease to boil but this clearly was NOT what I saw.

My mind was blown and I STILL can't figure out what happened. Would anyone please be kind enough to explain this strange phenomenon?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A guess: As long as the metal is hot (compared to the nitrogen), you get the Leidenfrost effect - nitrogen gas forms an insulating layer between metal and liquid.
When the temperature drops, this could get disrupted and lead to a different way of boiling. Not sure how this would appear to look like more boiling. More smaller bubbles maybe.

mfb said:
A guess: As long as the metal is hot (compared to the nitrogen), you get the Leidenfrost effect - nitrogen gas forms an insulating layer between metal and liquid.
When the temperature drops, this could get disrupted and lead to a different way of boiling. Not sure how this would appear to look like more boiling. More smaller bubbles maybe.

Thank you kindly. A plausible reason.

The leidenfrost effect is the correct explanation. The way I've had it explained to me is that as the metal cools to a point where the temperature difference does not create as effective of a vapor shield, the heat transfer from the metal to the LN2 drastically increases for a moment. Basically the LN2 is able to actually "touch" the metal at this point instead of nitrogen vapor.

Likes mfb
christopher.s said:
The leidenfrost effect is the correct explanation. The way I've had it explained to me is that as the metal cools to a point where the temperature difference does not create as effective of a vapor shield, the heat transfer from the metal to the LN2 drastically increases for a moment. Basically the LN2 is able to actually "touch" the metal at this point instead of nitrogen vapor.
Thank you for the reassurance.

1. What causes a mysterious boiling phenomenon during an experiment?

The mysterious boiling phenomenon during an experiment is caused by a rapid and unexpected release of energy in the form of heat. This can occur due to a variety of factors such as chemical reactions, changes in pressure or temperature, or the introduction of a catalyst.

2. Is the mysterious boiling phenomenon dangerous?

In most cases, the mysterious boiling phenomenon during an experiment is not dangerous. However, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate protective equipment to minimize any potential risks.

3. How can the mysterious boiling phenomenon be prevented?

The best way to prevent the mysterious boiling phenomenon during an experiment is to carefully follow the instructions and procedures outlined in the experiment. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards and take necessary precautions.

4. Can the mysterious boiling phenomenon be controlled?

In some cases, the mysterious boiling phenomenon can be controlled by adjusting the experimental conditions. However, this may not always be possible and it is important to be prepared to react quickly in case of unexpected boiling.

5. Are there any specific types of experiments that are more prone to the mysterious boiling phenomenon?

The mysterious boiling phenomenon can occur in any type of experiment that involves the release of energy in the form of heat. However, experiments involving chemical reactions or changes in pressure or temperature are more likely to experience this phenomenon.