Natural Domain of trig functions

In summary: If so, where would x be?The natural domain is the largest domain. For example you could have just 0 as domain, while valid this would not be the largest domain therefore not the natural domain. The best way to do this is to start with the domain R and then remove all points from R for which the function is not defined. Solving the equation 2-cos(x)=0 is the right approach, because that x will be the x value that will not be in the domain (keep in mind that there is more than one x value). The only 'identity' you need to know is the inverse of the cosine. If cos x=y then x=arccos y.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Find all the natural domain of the function algebraically, and confirm that your result is consistent with the graph produced by your graphing utility.
h(x) = 3/2-cosx

Homework Equations

(a) h(x) = 3/2-cosx
(b)x2-1/(x+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I need to know trigonometric identities? This is just an introductory chapter, so I am guessing I do not need to know the identities. 2-cosx = 0 to find the discontinuity. But how do I find the natural domain?

Physics news on Phys.org
The natural domain is the largest domain. For example you could have just 0 as domain, while valid this would not be the largest domain therefore not the natural domain. The best way to do this is to start with the domain R and then remove all points from R for which the function is not defined. Solving the equation 2-cos(x)=0 is the right approach, because that x will be the x value that will not be in the domain (keep in mind that there is more than one x value). The only 'identity' you need to know is the inverse of the cosine. If cos x=y then x=arccos y.

Last edited:
Loppyfoot said:

Homework Statement

Find all the natural domain of the function algebraically, and confirm that your result is consistent with the graph produced by your graphing utility.
h(x) = 3/2-cosx

Homework Equations

(a) h(x) = 3/2-cosx
(b)x2-1/(x+1)

Do I need to know trigonometric identities? This is just an introductory chapter, so I am guessing I do not need to know the identities. 2-cosx = 0 to find the discontinuity. But how do I find the natural domain?
It's not apparent from what you wrote, but I believe your first function is this: h(x) = 3/(2 - cos(x)). Because of the lack of parentheses, what you wrote would normally be interpreted as h(x) = 1.5 - cosx.

For the second function, do you mean x2 - 1/(x + 1) or (x2 - 1)/(x + 1)? I suspect that you meant the latter, but most would interpret what you wrote as the former.

Loppyfoot said:

Homework Statement

h(x) = 3/2-cosx

Homework Equations

(a) h(x) = 3/2-cosx
(b)x2-1/(x+1)

(b) looks like a piece of cake. Do you have any troubles dealing with (b)?

For (a), yes, you need to solve for x in the equation 2 - cos(x) = 0. Well, you don't need any identity here. Big hint of the day, try to answer the following questions:
  1. What's the range of cos(x)?
  2. From there, what's the range of 2 - cos(x)?
    (Only look here, when you are completely stuck, and find the 3rd question unanswerable)
  3. Can you solve the equation 2 - cos(x) = 0 for x?

1. What is the Natural Domain of trig functions?

The Natural Domain of trig functions is the set of all real numbers for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of all possible input values that will give a real output when plugged into the trigonometric function.

2. How do you determine the Natural Domain of a trig function?

To determine the Natural Domain of a trig function, you must first identify any restrictions on the input values. This can be done by looking for any values that would cause the function to be undefined, such as dividing by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. Once any restrictions are identified, the Natural Domain will be all real numbers except for those that are restricted.

3. Are there any common restrictions on the Natural Domain of trig functions?

Yes, there are a few common restrictions on the Natural Domain of trig functions. These include: the tangent function having restrictions at odd multiples of π/2, the cotangent function having restrictions at even multiples of π, and the inverse trig functions having restrictions on their input values to ensure a unique output.

4. Can the Natural Domain of a trig function be negative?

No, the Natural Domain of a trig function cannot be negative. Since the Natural Domain is the set of all real numbers, it does not include any negative values. However, individual trig functions may have restrictions on their input values that result in a negative output.

5. Why is it important to consider the Natural Domain of a trig function?

It is important to consider the Natural Domain of a trig function because it determines the range of values that can be inputted into the function to get a real output. It also helps to identify any potential errors or undefined values that may occur when using the function. Understanding the Natural Domain is crucial in correctly using and interpreting trigonometric functions in mathematical and scientific applications.