1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Domain of trig functions

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the natural domain of the function algebraically, and confirm that your result is consistent with the graph produced by your graphing utility.
    h(x) = 3/2-cosx

2. Relevant equations
    (a) h(x) = 3/2-cosx
    (b)x2-1/(x+1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I need to know trigonometric identities? This is just an introductory chapter, so I am guessing I do not need to know the identities. 2-cosx = 0 to find the discontinuity. But how do I find the natural domain?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The natural domain is the largest domain. For example you could have just 0 as domain, while valid this would not be the largest domain therefore not the natural domain. The best way to do this is to start with the domain R and then remove all points from R for which the function is not defined. Solving the equation 2-cos(x)=0 is the right approach, because that x will be the x value that will not be in the domain (keep in mind that there is more than one x value). The only 'identity' you need to know is the inverse of the cosine. If cos x=y then x=arccos y.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. Sep 2, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not apparent from what you wrote, but I believe your first function is this: h(x) = 3/(2 - cos(x)). Because of the lack of parentheses, what you wrote would normally be interpreted as h(x) = 1.5 - cosx.

For the second function, do you mean x2 - 1/(x + 1) or (x2 - 1)/(x + 1)? I suspect that you meant the latter, but most would interpret what you wrote as the former.

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

(b) looks like a piece of cake. Do you have any troubles dealing with (b)?

For (a), yes, you need to solve for x in the equation 2 - cos(x) = 0. Well, you don't need any identity here. Big hint of the day, try to answer the following questions:
    1. What's the range of cos(x)?
    2. From there, what's the range of 2 - cos(x)?
      (Only look here, when you are completely stuck, and find the 3rd question unanswerable)
    3. Can you solve the equation 2 - cos(x) = 0 for x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook