Natural Frequency: Find Equation of Motion

In summary: Putting springs in series decreases the total spring constant, while putting them in parallel increases the total spring constant.
mrblanco

Homework Statement

Find the natural frequency

Homework Equations

On picture

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need help with the equation of motion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
mrblanco said:

Homework Statement

Find the natural frequency

Homework Equations

On picture

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need help with the equation of motion.

Welcome to the PF.

So what are your initial equations? What does the harmonic motion of the block look like, and how is it affected by the part with the levers?

This is all the information I was given. The block is moving to the left but no values are given. The middle lever has a pin connection

mrblanco said:
This is all the information I was given. The block is moving to the left but no values are given. The middle lever has a pin connection

Well if you only had the spring on the right connected to the block, how would you calculate the resonant frequency? :smile:

Also, I know I have to use rF1+/-rF2=I(alpha) just not sure how

mrblanco said:
Also, I know I have to use rF1+/-rF2=I(alpha) just not sure how

Where does that come from? Why do you think it is a way to get to the natural frequency of this block/lever/spring system?

I'm thinking that has to be part of the equation of motion for the block

If I only considered the spring on the right, I get a complex answer...
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1442533272.819472.jpg

mrblanco said:
I'm thinking that has to be part of the equation of motion for the block

I'll ask again -- what is the resonant frequency of just a single block and spring? -- EDIT -- I see you added that. :smile:

And then, what is the action of the lever and the lower spring? Does that force oppose or add to the motion of the block? What do the two sides of the vertical bar (on either side of the fulcrum) do to the level of the 2nd spring's force as applied to the block?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1442533715.793452.jpg

mrblanco said:

I believe the function of the vertical lever is like a lever arm -- it gives mechanical advantage. What significance does the ratio of a and b have?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1442534607.495785.jpg

mrblanco said:

I think you're on the right track, but look closer at how the force of the left spring is translated through the vertical lever & fulcrum...

If you grab ahold of the block and push it to the right, that compresses the right spring, correct? What does it do to the left spring at the same time? Are the springs working against each other or with each other? How does that change your differential equation? :smile:

If i move the block to the right that would also compress the k2 spring. Aren't the springs working against each other because of the lever? When one pulls in one direction, the other pulls in the opposite direction.

I know I'm missing something here but I can't seem to figure it out

mrblanco said:
If i move the block to the right that would also compress the k2 spring. Aren't the springs working against each other because of the lever? When one pulls in one direction, the other pulls in the opposite direction.

I know I'm missing something here but I can't seem to figure it out

You're doing fine. Moving the block to the right compresses both springs. So you might as well have one spring on the right only, with what overall spring constant? :smile:

Springs in series so 1/k +1/k2

mrblanco said:
Springs in series so 1/k +1/k2

Does putting springs in series make them stronger or weaker? Does putting springs in parallel make them stronger or weaker?

Related to Natural Frequency: Find Equation of Motion

1. What is natural frequency and why is it important?

Natural frequency is the frequency at which a system will oscillate when disturbed from its equilibrium position. It is important because it determines the behavior and stability of the system.

2. How do you find the equation of motion for a system's natural frequency?

The equation of motion for natural frequency can be found by using Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma) and Hooke's Law (F=-kx) for a spring-mass system. The resulting equation is a second-order differential equation that can be solved to find the natural frequency.

3. What factors affect the natural frequency of a system?

The natural frequency of a system is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the damping coefficient. Increasing any of these factors will result in a higher natural frequency, while decreasing them will result in a lower natural frequency.

4. How does natural frequency relate to resonance?

Resonance occurs when a system is driven at its natural frequency, resulting in larger oscillations. This can be seen in everyday objects such as a swinging pendulum or a tuning fork. Natural frequency and resonance are closely related as they both involve the behavior of a system at its natural frequency.

5. Can natural frequency be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a system can be changed by altering the mass, stiffness, or damping of the system. This can be done by adding or removing weight, changing the material of the spring, or adding a damping mechanism. By changing these factors, the natural frequency of the system can be adjusted to meet specific requirements.