1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a Logic book recommendation.

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    Hey so I am doing a grad course on logic and skipping the undergrad introductory course. My friends have said that I will be fine but I want to get a head start and read some of what I missed in the undergrad class. here is the description for it.

Elementary development of propositional and predicate logic, including semantics and deductive systems and with a discussion of completeness, incompleteness and the decision problem.

the grad class has this description

Sentential logic, first-order languages, models and formal deductions. Basic model theory including completeness and compactness theorems, other methods of constructing models, and applications such as non-standard analysis.

So I want a book that is introductory enough to cover the undergrad course and give me a good basis for the grad course. I have never done any logic studies so this is all brand new to me.

thanks,
    RK

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    I'd suggest you get a set of two books:

Introduction to Logic (Copi, Cohen)
    Symbolic Logic (Copi)

They should provide a sufficiently good introduction, and the second a nice way to deal with a lot of the material in the grad course. Note, though, that the second book uses slightly unconventional notation, and is significantly more difficult than the first. I don't remember whether or not it covers model theory, either.

(I'm also not sure for which type of course you're asking this, so take this as a general recommendation, for what it's worth.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook