Need a Topic For Experimental Investigation

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is new to a forum and is seeking ideas for an upcoming physics project related to sports. They mention looking at concepts such as Newton's Laws, collisions, energy transfer, and motion. They also mention wanting to choose a sport that incorporates multiple concepts or is challenging. Another person suggests possible starting points such as snooker, cycling, and archery. The student clarifies that the project is for their Year 12 QSA Physics Curriculum in Australia. Finally, another person requests a physics investigatory project topic for their 4th year of high school in the Philippines.
plutonyum94
Hey everyone,
New to the forum - I apologize if you already get heaps of posts like these...
Im in Year 12 Physics, and out first assessment piece is related to the physics of sport.
It's a typical physics project -> hypothesis, testing, report...etc

We're looking at anything relating to Sport; so that's things like Newtons Laws, Collisions, Energy Transfer, Momentum-Impulse relationship, parabolic + linear + rotational motion.

I'm aiming for an excellent grade, so I'm looking for a sport that either incorporates a number of concepts or the concept is relatively challenging.

Any thoughts/ideas??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a UK, A Level project? (Couldn't tell from profile)
I can think of a number of possible starting points:
Snooker: collisions, momentum, energy transfer
Cycling: Newtons Laws of motion, gears, mechanical advantage, acceleration
Archery: trajectories, energy in bow under tension

Stonebridge said:
Is this a UK, A Level project? (Couldn't tell from profile)/QUOTE]

Nah, I live in Australia. It's just the Year 12 QSA (Quensland Studies Authority) Physics Curriculum

Hello .. I am 17 m in phillipines .. I am 4th year HS .. pls give me a topic 4 investigatory project in physics?

pls .. i need the topic tommorow .. tnx so much!

1. What is the purpose of an experimental investigation?

The purpose of an experimental investigation is to systematically test a hypothesis or research question by manipulating a variable and observing its effect on another variable. This allows researchers to establish cause-and-effect relationships and make inferences about the phenomenon being studied.

2. How do I choose a topic for experimental investigation?

Choosing a topic for experimental investigation involves identifying a research question or hypothesis, reviewing existing literature on the topic, and considering the feasibility and ethical implications of conducting an experiment. It is also important to select a topic that is of interest to you and has the potential to contribute to the existing body of knowledge.

3. What are the key components of an experimental design?

The key components of an experimental design include the independent and dependent variables, control or comparison group, random assignment of participants, and standardized procedures for data collection. These elements ensure that the experiment is valid and reliable, and that any observed effects can be attributed to the manipulated variable.

4. How do I analyze and interpret the results of an experimental investigation?

The results of an experimental investigation are typically analyzed using statistical methods to determine if there is a significant difference between the experimental and control groups. The interpretation of the results should consider the limitations of the study and any potential alternative explanations for the findings. It is important to also consider the practical significance and implications of the results.

5. What are some potential ethical considerations in experimental investigation?

Some potential ethical considerations in experimental investigation include informed consent from participants, protection of their privacy and confidentiality, minimizing potential harm or discomfort, and debriefing participants after the experiment. Researchers must also adhere to ethical guidelines and regulations set by their institution and professional organizations.