1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need an idea for COURSEWORK research project

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    so i need to do a project (ie. a research report) on something in physics
    that is interesting. i need to be able to use maths to do calculations or
    explanations or something with it, and it has to have quite a lot of
    content. this is only high school level physics, so i can't do (or
    understand) something really complicated for example.

i really don't want to do anything to do with electricity or magnetism.

any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know calculus?

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The research and discoveries regarding the solar neutrino problem over the past couple of decades would make a great report at many levels. This is history that has happened during our lifetimes. It's basically a worrisome problem in Physics where calculations did not agree with the measured values, and better and better detectors were designed an built (very exotic detectors!), and finally a fundamental hypothesis was thought of, and the right detector data were gathered to show that the hypothesis was true. Great stuff. Here's a pointer to the NOVA episode about this historical progression. You can find other references with a directed google search based on the terms in the episode description:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/

5. Jan 30, 2007 #4
    spatial physics systems for molecular dynamics in protein folding.

a little bit of math/cs/phys/bio/chem.

6. Jan 31, 2007 #5
    Yes I do know calculus.

thank you for both suggestions, I promise I will look into it and say what i think of it after i've chosen my project.

any more suggestions please keep coming.

7. Jan 31, 2007 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Well, since you will need to spend a lot of time and effort on the project it is best to get involved in something that interest you, unless you are one of those rare creatures that finds virtually anything interesting. So what topics, activities do you like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?