Need an idea for COURSEWORK research project

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a physics project at a high school level that involves using math and has a substantial amount of content. The individual is not interested in topics related to electricity or magnetism and asks for suggestions. The idea of researching the solar neutrino problem and its historical progression is proposed, as well as using spatial physics systems for molecular dynamics in protein folding. It is also mentioned that the individual knows calculus and is open to more suggestions based on their interests.
blackcat
so i need to do a project (ie. a research report) on something in physics
that is interesting. i need to be able to use maths to do calculations or
explanations or something with it, and it has to have quite a lot of
content. this is only high school level physics, so i can't do (or
understand) something really complicated for example.

i really don't want to do anything to do with electricity or magnetism.

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know calculus?

The research and discoveries regarding the solar neutrino problem over the past couple of decades would make a great report at many levels. This is history that has happened during our lifetimes. It's basically a worrisome problem in Physics where calculations did not agree with the measured values, and better and better detectors were designed an built (very exotic detectors!), and finally a fundamental hypothesis was thought of, and the right detector data were gathered to show that the hypothesis was true. Great stuff. Here's a pointer to the NOVA episode about this historical progression. You can find other references with a directed google search based on the terms in the episode description:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/

spatial physics systems for molecular dynamics in protein folding.

a little bit of math/cs/phys/bio/chem.

Yes I do know calculus.

thank you for both suggestions, I promise I will look into it and say what i think of it after I've chosen my project.

any more suggestions please keep coming.

Well, since you will need to spend a lot of time and effort on the project it is best to get involved in something that interest you, unless you are one of those rare creatures that finds virtually anything interesting. So what topics, activities do you like?

What is the purpose of coursework research projects?

Coursework research projects are designed to help students develop practical skills in conducting research, analyzing data, and presenting their findings. They also allow students to explore a specific topic in depth and apply their knowledge to real-world scenarios.

How do I choose a topic for my coursework research project?

Choosing a topic for your coursework research project should involve identifying your interests, considering current trends and issues in your field of study, and discussing potential ideas with your instructor or peers. It is important to select a topic that is feasible and relevant to your course objectives.

What is the process for conducting a coursework research project?

The process for conducting a coursework research project typically involves selecting a topic, conducting background research, developing a research question or hypothesis, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting your findings in a written report or presentation. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by your instructor and seek guidance as needed throughout the process.

What types of sources should I use for my coursework research project?

The types of sources you use for your coursework research project should depend on your topic and research question. Sources may include academic articles, books, reports, statistics, and other credible sources. It is important to critically evaluate your sources and use a combination of primary and secondary sources to support your arguments.

How can I ensure the success of my coursework research project?

To ensure the success of your coursework research project, it is important to start early, stay organized, and communicate with your instructor. Make sure to follow the guidelines provided and seek feedback throughout the process. It can also be helpful to collaborate with peers or seek support from your school's writing or research center.