Need calculations for wall climbing RC car

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of imitating the Airhog zero gravity climber, specifically in relation to deriving equations for suction pressure and selecting motors for driving suction fans. The use of an air venturi system is mentioned, and there is uncertainty about whether equations for hovercrafts are applicable. The need to calculate the volume of suction cups and consider pressure, area, and coefficient of static friction is also mentioned.
lorenzo55
I am trying to imitate the Airhog zero gravity climber

one of these
http://www.gmhummer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111

can someone please help me regarding derieving equations for the suction pressure required and regarding selection of motors for driving suction fans.
the toy basically uses an air venturi system so i am a bit unsure that the equations of a hovercraft would be applicable.
please help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
can someone answer my query

Hmm.. I think that the volume of the suction cups will need to be calculated into the airflow requirement of the venturi. Other than that, you have pressure and area to find force and you'll need a coefficient of static friction to know if it'll slide down the wall.

1. How do you calculate the force required for a wall climbing RC car?

The force required for a wall climbing RC car can be calculated using the formula F=m*g*sin(θ), where m is the mass of the car, g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of inclination of the wall.

2. What factors affect the stability of a wall climbing RC car?

The stability of a wall climbing RC car is affected by factors such as weight distribution, center of gravity, surface texture, and angle of inclination of the wall. These factors can impact the friction and grip of the car on the wall, which ultimately affects its stability.

3. How do you calculate the angle of inclination for a wall climbing RC car?

The angle of inclination for a wall climbing RC car can be calculated using the formula tan(θ)=h/d, where h is the height of the wall and d is the distance between the wall and the car. This will give you the tangent of the angle, which can then be solved for θ using a calculator or trigonometry table.

4. What is the ideal weight for a wall climbing RC car?

The ideal weight for a wall climbing RC car depends on various factors such as the size and power of the car, as well as the angle of inclination of the wall. Generally, a lighter car will have better grip and be able to climb steeper walls, but a heavier car may have more stability and control. It is important to balance these factors to find the optimal weight for the specific car and wall conditions.

5. What is the maximum angle of inclination a wall climbing RC car can climb?

The maximum angle of inclination a wall climbing RC car can climb depends on its weight, power, and grip on the wall. With proper calculations and adjustments, some RC cars have been able to climb walls with angles over 90 degrees. However, it is recommended to stay within a range of 45-60 degrees for safety and stability purposes.