Need Help in Finding Electric Flux through a Hole in Sphere

In summary: But then you realize its not so bad once you get the hang of it.In summary, the flux through the small hole is proportional to the area of the hole.
twisted079

Homework Statement

An uncharged nonconductive hollow sphere of radius 19.0 cm surrounds a 20.0 µC charge located at the origin of a cartesian coordinate system. A drill with a radius of 1.00 mm is aligned along the z axis, and a hole is drilled in the sphere. Calculate the electric flux through the hole.

Homework Equations

Volume charge distribution = Q/V
Flux = q/ε0 = EA

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started off by finding the Volume which was (4/3)pi(0.19^3) = 0.0287
I then divided the charge by this to get the Volume Charge Density = 6.9686^-4

Here is where I get stuck. I have no idea how to relate the Volume Charge Density to the flux through the small hole. I thought perhaps I should find the Area Charge Density of the small hole but I am really unsure. I am not asking for the answer, I just need a brief description of where to go from here/ what formulas to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Likes Pratik007789
Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than looking at charge density for the volume, start with the flux coming through the entire surface of the sphere. What portion of it comes through the small hole?

19.0 cm = 0.19 m
1.0 mm = .001 m

I suppose the ratio in terms of radius would be 0.001 : 0.19.
0.001 / 0.19 = .0052

Would this be the percent of the entire flux which passes though the hole?

You'll want to look at the ratio of the areas.

So I would calculate the surface areas of both the hole and the sphere, and use the ratio to calculate the flux?

twisted079 said:
So I would calculate the surface areas of both the hole and the sphere, and use the ratio to calculate the flux?

The flux leaves the sphere isotropically -- it's uniform over all the surface of the sphere. So the bit leaving the area of the hole is proportional to the area of the hole. The ratio of the area of the hole to the area of the sphere is the proportion of the total flux that leaves by the hole. So yes... multiply the ratio by the total flux and you're done.

Awesome! I can't thank you enough for the help, especially since it is coming from a stranger who is truly kind enough to help someone he/she does not know.

twisted079 said:
Awesome! I can't thank you enough for the help, especially since it is coming from a stranger who is truly kind enough to help someone he/she does not know.

You're quite welcome :smile:

Ah! I've been trying this for quite some time and I still cannot figure it out.

I use 4piR2(Q/4piε0R2) to find the flux on the surface. I then multiply it by the ratio like you said but get the wrong answer :(

What am I doing wrong?

What do you get for the two areas that you're taking the ratio of?

The areas would have to be:
1) 4pi(.192) = .4536
2) 4pi(.0012) = 1.256e-5

The area of a circle (circular hole) is not A = 4πr2. That's 4 times the area !

*face palm*
Why no, no its not.
Its funny how such a simple error can cause so much frustration.
Now my calculations are coming out correct. Thank you!

twisted079 said:
*face palm*
Why no, no its not.
Its funny how such a simple error can cause so much frustration.
Now my calculations are coming out correct. Thank you!

Hated it when that happened lol.. At first your like, no way... Did I really do that :p

1. What is electric flux through a hole in a sphere?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given area. In the case of a hole in a sphere, it refers to the amount of electric field passing through the hole.

2. How do you calculate electric flux through a hole in a sphere?

To calculate electric flux through a hole in a sphere, you need to use the formula Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, A is the area of the hole, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the hole's surface.

3. What factors affect the electric flux through a hole in a sphere?

The electric flux through a hole in a sphere is affected by the strength of the electric field, the size of the hole, and the angle between the electric field and the normal vector to the hole's surface.

4. Why is it important to find the electric flux through a hole in a sphere?

Finding the electric flux through a hole in a sphere allows us to understand the behavior of electric fields in different situations. It also helps in calculations related to electricity, such as determining the amount of charge passing through the hole.

5. Are there any real-life applications of finding electric flux through a hole in a sphere?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding electric flux through a hole in a sphere. For example, it is used in the design of electrical circuits, in the study of electromagnetic waves, and in the calculation of electric fields in complex systems.