Need help manufacturing something with threads. THREAD FAILURE problem.

In summary, Fred is trying to find an equation to solve for the amount of engagement (Le) that the block has to have with the threaded rod in order to prevent failure. The givens are that the block is made of steel, the amount of force needed to break the samples is 300lbs, and the length of engagement is based on the material and shear of the thread form. Fred can use the 1D stripping area as a starting point to calculate the stripping load over the stripping area and compare to the material allowables for the stresses. The tough part is properly identifying all of the forces on the thread.
SlimJ87D
hello everyone, this is my first post.

Right now I am trying to figure out which equations to use to solve the following.

I will have a block that will a threaded rod through it. This block will be next to another larger block. In between these blocks are going to be metal samples.

Now here is the cool part, when I turn the thread via gears and such, the block that is engaged with the threaded rod will move and help deform the separate metal samples till failure occurs.

I need to know how much engagement (Le) the block has to have with the threaded rod so failure will not occur.

Some helpful givens:
-I am using steel
-The amount of force needed to break these samples is approximately 300lbs, that is 150 in the opposite directions of the sample.

assem2.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Length of engagement is based on material (obviously) as well as shear are of the thread form. Most tables list shear stripping area per 1 diameter of length. You can use the 1D stripping area as a starting point to calculate the stripping load over the stripping area and compare to the material allowables for the stresses.

The tough part is really properly identifying ALL of the forces on your thread, i.e. not just the forces due to the load (preload, etc...).

Yeah, this is why I decided to use steel.

It is going to be 4o to 80 threads per an inch. The guy asking me to produce this wants it to be very very very precise...

Well the equation I have found from McGraw-Hill's series of ME is

Tao(Shear stress) = [2 * F(force)] / [pi * d(diameter) * Le]

I'm a little rusty at finding the shear stress of steel, I have all I need using poisson's ratio except the shear strain.

Does anyone know the average shear strain of steel?

I can already predict a factor of safety will probably be lower than 2 sadly. But the guy wants it, and it does something pretty simple.

I can even change the diameter if I want to to decrease Le because I am basically controlling every variable via manufacturing.

Last edited:
Can anyone help please? I'm stuck with this problem for my research.

A rule of thumb for most ductile metals is that ultimate shear stress allowable is 50% of ultimate tensile stress (think of a Mohr's Circle).

FredGarvin said:
A rule of thumb for most ductile metals is that ultimate shear stress allowable is 50% of ultimate tensile stress (think of a Mohr's Circle).

Thanks Fred. Right when you said Mohr's circle, I remembered right away.

Seeing that I can't send you a PM Fred, I just wanted to ask you on what you think of going straight to work and then possibly getting a MS, or just going straight for the MS?

Related to Need help manufacturing something with threads. THREAD FAILURE problem.

What could be causing thread failure during manufacturing?

Thread failure during manufacturing can be caused by several factors, such as improper tension or alignment of the threads, low quality or defective materials, inadequate lubrication, or excessive heat or pressure during the manufacturing process.

How can I prevent thread failure in my manufacturing process?

To prevent thread failure, it is important to ensure proper tension and alignment of the threads, use high quality and tested materials, regularly lubricate the threads, and carefully monitor and control heat and pressure levels during the manufacturing process.

What types of threads are suitable for manufacturing?

The type of thread chosen for manufacturing will depend on the specific application and requirements. Some common types of threads used in manufacturing include machine threads, wood threads, and plastic threads.

How can I test for thread failure in my product?

There are various methods for testing thread failure in a product, such as pull-out testing, torque testing, and visual inspection. It is important to regularly conduct these tests during the manufacturing process to ensure the quality and durability of the threads.

What should I do if I encounter thread failure in my product?

If you encounter thread failure in your product, it is important to investigate the root cause and address it immediately. This may involve adjusting the manufacturing process, using higher quality materials, or implementing stricter quality control measures. It is also important to communicate any issues with the thread failure to the manufacturer to prevent similar problems in the future.