1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding how these limits were evaluated

1. Jan 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, the problem is imply to show the following

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 10^n e^{-t} \sinh{10^{-n}t} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 10^n e^{-t} \sin{10^{-n}t} = te^{-t}[/tex]

How can I do this? Just a hint or a first step would be great, thanks :)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to make the substitution y = ln[f(x)], but I didn't get far with that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure they used L'Hopital's Rule after bringing out ##e^{-t}##.

4. Jan 18, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No typos ? Then you can just pull out the ##\ \ t\; e^{-t} ## !
    Do you know the $$\lim_{ y\downarrow 0}\ {\sin y\over y }\quad {\rm ?} $$

5. Jan 19, 2016 #4
    That's what I ended up using :) But I'm not sure if it's ok to make the substitution n = 1/a whereby as n -> inf, then a -> 0...

6. Jan 19, 2016 #5
    I also don't understand why it is works for the hyperbolic sine, but I'm happy to just accept that it does, and maybe explore the proof that it does separately; this problem isn't part of a precalculus or limits specific study effort, it appeared as part of a challenge problem in a chapter of a differential equations text I'm working on.

7. Jan 19, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For ##\sinh x \equiv {e^x-e^{-x}\over 2} \ \Rightarrow \ \sin\; i{\bf z} = i \sinh {\bf z}##
    or you can use the Taylor series of ##e^x = 1 + x + {1\over 2}x^2 + ... ## to show that
    $$\lim_{ y\downarrow 0}\; {\sinh y\over y }\quad = 1 $$

8. Jan 19, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is much simpler than the case of ##\sin(x)/x##. Using the definition of ##\sinh(x)## we have
    [tex]\begin{array}{rcl}\sinh(x) &=&\frac{1}{2}(e^x - e^{-x}) \\
    &=& \frac{1}{2} [1 + x + x^2/2 + x^3/6 \cdots - (1 - x + x^2/2 - x^3/6 + \cdots)]\\
    &=& x + x^3/6 + \cdots
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    so ##\sinh(x)/x = 1 + x^2/6 + \cdots \to 1## as ##x \to 0##. Alternately, just use l'Hospital's rule on ##f(x) = \sinh(x)/x##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted