Need help understanding how these limits were evaluated

In summary, the problem is to find the limit as n goes to infinity of the following:e^-t*sinh(10*n*t)The attempt at a solution is to substitute y = ln[f(x)], but this did not work well. The student tried L'Hospital's rule on f(x) = sinh(x)/x, and this worked.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Hi, the problem is imply to show the following

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 10^n e^{-t} \sinh{10^{-n}t} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 10^n e^{-t} \sin{10^{-n}t} = te^{-t}[/tex]

How can I do this? Just a hint or a first step would be great, thanks :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to make the substitution y = ln[f(x)], but I didn't get far with that.

Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

Hi, the problem is imply to show the following

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 10^n e^{-t} \sinh{10^{-n}t} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} 10^n e^{-t} \sin{10^{-n}t} = te^{-t}[/tex]

How can I do this? Just a hint or a first step would be great, thanks :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to make the substitution y = ln[f(x)], but I didn't get far with that.
I'm pretty sure they used L'Hopital's Rule after bringing out ##e^{-t}##.

No typos ? Then you can just pull out the ##\ \ t\; e^{-t} ## !
Do you know the $$\lim_{ y\downarrow 0}\ {\sin y\over y }\quad {\rm ?} $$

Likes kostoglotov
BvU said:

That's what I ended up using :) But I'm not sure if it's ok to make the substitution n = 1/a whereby as n -> inf, then a -> 0...

BvU said:

I also don't understand why it is works for the hyperbolic sine, but I'm happy to just accept that it does, and maybe explore the proof that it does separately; this problem isn't part of a precalculus or limits specific study effort, it appeared as part of a challenge problem in a chapter of a differential equations text I'm working on.

For ##\sinh x \equiv {e^x-e^{-x}\over 2} \ \Rightarrow \ \sin\; i{\bf z} = i \sinh {\bf z}##
or you can use the Taylor series of ##e^x = 1 + x + {1\over 2}x^2 + ... ## to show that
$$\lim_{ y\downarrow 0}\; {\sinh y\over y }\quad = 1 $$

kostoglotov said:
I also don't understand why it is works for the hyperbolic sine, but I'm happy to just accept that it does, and maybe explore the proof that it does separately; this problem isn't part of a precalculus or limits specific study effort, it appeared as part of a challenge problem in a chapter of a differential equations text I'm working on.

It is much simpler than the case of ##\sin(x)/x##. Using the definition of ##\sinh(x)## we have
[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}\sinh(x) &=&\frac{1}{2}(e^x - e^{-x}) \\
&=& \frac{1}{2} [1 + x + x^2/2 + x^3/6 \cdots - (1 - x + x^2/2 - x^3/6 + \cdots)]\\
&=& x + x^3/6 + \cdots
\end{array}
[/tex]
so ##\sinh(x)/x = 1 + x^2/6 + \cdots \to 1## as ##x \to 0##. Alternately, just use l'Hospital's rule on ##f(x) = \sinh(x)/x##.

Likes kostoglotov

FAQ: Need help understanding how these limits were evaluated

1. What is the purpose of evaluating limits in mathematics?

Limits are used to determine the behavior of a mathematical function as the input variable gets close to a certain value. It helps us understand the behavior of a function when it is not defined at a certain point or when it approaches infinity.

2. How do you evaluate a limit using algebraic methods?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you can use techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, and simplifying the expression. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches a certain value from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of a function from both directions, left and right, as the input variable gets close to a certain value.

4. Are there any special cases when evaluating limits?

Yes, there are two special cases when evaluating limits: limits at infinity and limits of indeterminate forms. Limits at infinity occur when the input variable approaches a very large value, and limits of indeterminate forms occur when the expression cannot be evaluated directly using algebraic methods.

5. How do you determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit are equal. It also exists if the function is continuous at the point where the limit is being evaluated. If the left and right-hand limits are not equal, or if the function has a discontinuity at the point, then the limit does not exist.