1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help w/ arranging resultant vector with 3 other vectors. D:

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the vector combination R = A + 2B - C. Grid lines are separated by 1 cm. When you submit your answer the third vector that you drew may disappear, but if you are correct you will have a green check mark near the grid. (Mac OS X use Netscape, Windows use IE.) A scratch vector is provided for your use if needed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A x=-3 y=2
    B x=-1 y=-1
    C x=-2 y=1
    R x=-3 y=-1

I tried using the tip to tail method for joining the vectors, but it didn't work since the vectors don't fit. Maybe I have to use the parallelogram method here? I really have no idea. :( Any help is appriciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2
    You already know the equation for the resultant, and the components of each vector. If I have an equation for the resultant, say R = 2A - B, where A and B are vectors, and I know that A = < 1, 2 >, and B = < 3, 4 >, I can find the resultant by plugging the vector components into the resultant equation:

R = 2< 1, 2 > - < 3, 4 > = < 2, 4 > - <3, 4 >

Add the components:

< 2, 4 > - <3, 4 > = < -1, 0 >

Now we know that the resultant should be the vector < -1, 0 >, where -1 is the x component, and 0 is the y component.
  4. Oct 28, 2007 #3
    Thanks, but I already have found the components of the vectors. I was asking how to do the graphical part, like where you arrange the vectors and the resultant. >_>
  5. Oct 28, 2007 #4
    Look at your equation, there's a minus signal in front of vector C. That equals to the sum of vector C, just in a opposite direction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?