Need Help wiring a photodiode to measure light

In summary: You will find that by adjusting the voltage on pins 3 and 4 you can get a much wider range of readings. Thanks for the tutorial!
JuanF
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and basically need help to build a little gadget to measure the intensity of light that passes through a tube filled with solutions of different dye concentrations.
I have a 10530DAL photodiode, and a light source. What I'm doing now is measuring the current from pins 2 (Output Vo) and 1 (OV Case). This works but the range is very narrow.
I have tried to add a battery to the other 2 pins (9V) but nothing happens. If I invert the battery the diode heats up.
I am not really interested in absolute values but in relative ones (what I want to calibrate is the "system" that injects the solutions).
I'm clearly doing something wrong and would greatly appreciate some help.
Thanks in advance,
Juan

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you have there is more than a photo diode. There is an op amp included. If you apply +V against ground on pin three and -V on pin four (V being between 4 and 18 Volts) your performance should increase dramatically.

Thank you very much, 0xDEADBEEF!
Unfortunately, my ignorance is vast, and I do not know how to do that. Do I need 2 batteries? Or one would be enough?
Also, what does against ground mean?
Sorry for the ignorance and once again thanks a lot!
Juan

The ground is the case and also pin 1. Yes you need two batteries. So you put say +9V on pin three and -9V on pin four and connect the other ends of the batteries to the ground pin. This was just through a sloppy look on the specs you might want to check them yourself.

0xDEADBEEF,
Once again, many many thanks. I'll try that first thing in the morning!
Juan

0xDEADBEEF said:
What you have there is more than a photo diode. There is an op amp included. If you apply +V against ground on pin three and -V on pin four (V being between 4 and 18 Volts) your performance should increase dramatically.

Like Figure #3 in this tutorial on current-to-voltage converters:

http://www2.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0708056.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the spectral output of your light source? What is the spectral sensitivity of the photodiode?

For instance, if you are using an incandescent light source with a high output in the infrared and if your photodiode has a high sensitivity in the infrared and if your dyes are relatively transparent to infrared, you may see very little variation in light transmission with color. You may have to filter out the parts of the spectrum you're not interested in, in order to get good readings.

An alternative method would be to use red, blue and green LEDs as light sources and use red, blue and green LEDs as photodiodes to pick up just those colors respectively. This would not only avoid any problems with unwanted spectrum but potentially giving you a good measurement of the color too.

To all, and especially 0xDEADBEEF:
Thanks so much. it worked like a charm.
JuanF

Related to Need Help wiring a photodiode to measure light

1. How do I wire a photodiode to measure light?

To wire a photodiode, you will need to connect the positive (anode) and negative (cathode) terminals of the photodiode to a power source. Then, connect the output of the photodiode to a signal amplifier or data acquisition device to measure the light intensity.

2. What type of power source do I need for a photodiode?

The power source for a photodiode can vary depending on the specific device you are using. Some photodiodes require a low voltage power supply, while others may require a high voltage power supply. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the specific photodiode you are using.

3. How do I calibrate a photodiode for accurate light measurement?

To calibrate a photodiode, you will need to use a known light source and measure the output of the photodiode. Then, compare the measured output to the known light intensity and adjust the calibration settings accordingly. It may also be helpful to repeat this process with multiple light sources to ensure accuracy.

4. Can a photodiode measure light in all spectrums?

No, photodiodes are designed to measure light in specific spectrums depending on the type of material used in the photodiode. Some photodiodes are sensitive to visible light, while others may be sensitive to infrared or ultraviolet light. Again, it is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the specific photodiode you are using.

5. How do I troubleshoot if my photodiode is not measuring light accurately?

If your photodiode is not measuring light accurately, first check all of the wiring and connections to ensure they are secure and correct. You may also want to check the calibration settings and make sure they are properly adjusted. If the issue persists, it may be a problem with the photodiode itself and you may need to consult the manufacturer or replace the device.