How Do You Solve a Circle's Radius Problem Using the Quadratic Formula?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the exact radius of a circle when its area is increased by 25% after increasing its radius by 6 cm. The formula for the area of a circle is used to set up an equation, which is then simplified and solved using the quadratic formula. The OP struggles with formatting the equation correctly, but eventually realizes their mistake and is advised to write equations more compactly. The final equation is 1.25πr^2=π(r+6)^2.
Saracen Rue
Hi, first off I want to say that I'm new here, so sorry if I do anything wrong.

Okay, now to the problem at hand. I know that this is probably really easy and I'm just having one of my moments again, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this question:

When the radius of a circle is increased by 6 cm, its area increases by 25%. Use the quadratic formula to find out the exact radius of the original circle.

I've spent a good 2-3 hours on it and I just can't seem to get it into the ax2+bx+c form. Any help and insight into this question you guys could provide me would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

~Saracen Rue~

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done.

Hint: What's the formula for the area of a circle?

Well, the first thing I did was assign area formulas to both the original circle and the new circle, with the original one being A = πr2 and the new one being A = π(r+6)2. Now I needed to make the equations equal each other, which I did by adding 25% of the area of the first circle onto itself, giving me something that looked like this: πr2 + (25/πr2*100) = πr(r+6)2. Next, I moved the πr(r+6)2 over to the left hand side to make the equation equal to 0, allowing me to treat it as a quadratic equation. However, here's where I get stuck. I can't work out how to make it into the form ax2+bx+c.

Saracen Rue said:
Well, the first thing I did was assign area formulas to both the original circle and the new circle, with the original one being A = πr2 and the new one being A = π(r+6)2. Now I needed to make the equations equal each other, which I did by adding 25% of the area of the first circle onto itself, giving me something that looked like this: πr2 + (25/πr2*100) = πr(r+6)2.
Good, but you have an extra r in that right hand term. Get rid of it.

Next, I moved the πr(r+6)2 over to the left hand side to make the equation equal to 0, allowing me to treat it as a quadratic equation. However, here's where I get stuck. I can't work out how to make it into the form ax2+bx+c.
Cancel what you can cancel. Then be sure to expand that (r + 6)2 term.

Yeah, that r was a typo.

Hm, I think my problem is that I keep getting confused with my negatives -_-
and I think I might just be tired... it is 12 in the morning where I am. I think I'll go get some sleep and try again once I'm rested. Good night.

Sleep is good. But you're on the right track. :smile:

Saracen Rue said:
Well, the first thing I did was assign area formulas to both the original circle and the new circle, with the original one being A = πr2 and the new one being A = π(r+6)2. Now I needed to make the equations equal each other, which I did by adding 25% of the area of the first circle onto itself, giving me something that looked like this: πr2 + (25/πr2*100) = πr(r+6)2. Next, I moved the πr(r+6)2 over to the left hand side to make the equation equal to 0, allowing me to treat it as a quadratic equation. However, here's where I get stuck. I can't work out how to make it into the form ax2+bx+c.

Why don't you just write ##1.25 \pi r^2 = \pi (r+6)^2##? That is exactly what the question says!

Ray Vickson said:
Why don't you just write ##1.25 \pi r^2 = \pi (r+6)^2##? That is exactly what the question says!
That's just what the OP did! (Although it might not look like it.)

Doc Al said:

Yes, I know that. But he should develop a habit of writing things more compactly. It may even be that different ways of writing correspond to different ways of thinking, so that is why I wrote what I did.

Ray Vickson said:
Yes, I know that. But he should develop a habit of writing things more compactly. It may even be that different ways of writing correspond to different ways of thinking, so that is why I wrote what I did.
I certainly agree that it should be written as you wrote it. :smile:

Doc Al said:
Typo aside, it doesn't look much like it to me.
Saracen Rue said:
πr2 + (25/πr2*100) = πr(r+6)2.
## πr^2 +\left( \frac {25} { πr^2 \times 100 } \right) = π \left( r+6 \right)^2 ##
I suppose it could be
## πr^2 +\left( \frac {25} { πr^2} \times 100 \right) = π \left( r+6 \right)^2 ##
but that's no better

He didn't show his working, but perhaps he didn't think what he wrote was the same as Ray wrote. Then he'd get something more complex and have trouble solving it. So it may not help to tell him his expression is right.

I know this is long after the thread is closed and of no use to OP. He just posted a strange math question and I was looking back through his posts to see where he was coming from.
When I read this thread, I thought this was a point worth making.

Saracen Rue said:
Well, the first thing I did was assign area formulas to both the original circle and the new circle, with the original one being A = πr2 and the new one being A = π(r+6)2. Now I needed to make the equations equal each other, which I did by adding 25% of the area of the first circle onto itself, giving me something that looked like this: πr2 + (25/πr2*100) = πr(r+6)2.
The equation should correctly read: $$\pi r^2+25*\pi r^2/100=\pi (r+6)^2$$
This leads directly to Ray's equation:
$$1.25 \pi r^2=\pi(r+6)^2$$

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a second-degree polynomial equation and has two solutions.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values of a, b, and c, and solve for x. Another method is factoring, where you find two numbers that multiply to give you the constant term (c) and add to give you the coefficient of the middle term (b).

3. What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign, b^2 - 4ac. It helps determine the nature of the solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, the equation has one real solution. And if it is negative, the equation has two complex solutions.

4. Can a quadratic equation have more than two solutions?

No, a quadratic equation can only have two solutions. This is because a quadratic equation is a second-degree polynomial, and the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n can have at most n complex solutions.

5. How can I use quadratic equations in real life?

Quadratic equations have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the maximum profit of a business, or find the optimal size of a container. They are also used in everyday situations, such as calculating the dimensions of a room or finding the roots of a quadratic function to determine the break-even point in business.