Need help with mercury vs. water problem

In summary: So in summary, you need to use the specific heat capacity and mass of both water and mercury, as well as the latent heat of vaporization, to determine which substance requires more energy to boil at room temperature. This can be done by using the formula Q = mc(T_{f} - T_{i}) for both substances and comparing the results.
Aprilshowers
I need help with a problem I have struggled with for several days.
Here is the problem:
The specific heat of mercury is .03 cal/g degrees C, and it's boiling point is
357 degrees C. The specific heat of water is 1 cal/g degrees C. It takes
65 calories of energy to vaporize one gram of mercury and 540 calories to
vaporize 1 gram of water. If both substances begin a room temperature
(about 22 degrees C), Does it take more energy to boil a gram of mercury or
a gram of water?
I found where the boiling point of water is 100 degrees C...but there is so
much information here that I cannot determine what is needed or not, and
what order to process the information...can anyone advise?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use [itex]Q = mc(T_{f} - T_{i})[/tex] for both the water and the mercury. [itex]T_{f}, T_{i}[/itex] are the final and initial temperatures (which you are given for both water and mercury), c is the specific heat capacity and m is the mass (if you use J K^-1 kg^-1 and kg for those quantities, you'll get an answer in J).

Nylex said:
You need to use [itex]Q = mc(T_{f} - T_{i})[/tex] for both the water and the mercury. [itex]T_{f}, T_{i}[/itex] are the final and initial temperatures (which you are given for both water and mercury), c is the specific heat capacity and m is the mass (if you use J K^-1 kg^-1 and kg for those quantities, you'll get an answer in J).

You also need the latent heat of vaporization given for each sustance. The question is asking the heat needed to raise the temperature of the liquid and to vaporize it.

Ahh ok, yeah.

What is the "mercury vs. water problem"?

The "mercury vs. water problem" refers to the issue of mercury pollution in bodies of water, such as lakes, rivers, and oceans. Mercury is a toxic metal that can have harmful effects on both human health and the environment, and it is often found in water sources due to industrial and natural processes.

How does mercury get into water?

Mercury can enter bodies of water through both natural and human activities. Natural sources include volcanic eruptions and weathering of rocks, while human activities such as mining, coal burning, and industrial processes can release mercury into the environment. Once in the air, mercury can travel long distances and eventually settle into bodies of water through rain or snow.

What are the effects of mercury pollution on the environment?

Mercury pollution can have a variety of negative effects on the environment. It can harm aquatic plants and animals, disrupt the food chain, and decrease biodiversity. It can also accumulate in the tissues of fish and other animals, making them toxic to eat for humans and other predators.

How does mercury pollution affect human health?

Exposure to mercury can have serious health consequences for humans. It can damage the nervous system, leading to neurological and developmental problems. It can also affect the kidneys, respiratory system, and immune system. Pregnant women and young children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of mercury pollution.

What can be done to address the mercury vs. water problem?

Preventing mercury pollution in the first place is the most effective solution. This can be achieved through regulations on industrial processes, proper disposal of products containing mercury, and using alternative methods that do not involve mercury. Cleaning up contaminated sites and reducing emissions from existing sources can also help to mitigate the problem. Additionally, individuals can make a difference by properly disposing of household products containing mercury and reducing their consumption of seafood known to be high in mercury.